Found a '91 Coupe for sale-Need advice

bhclark

I just ran across a '91 Reatta Coupe with 145000 miles on it. The leather interior looks brand new and the body seems rust free with what appears to be the original paint. Top side of the engine looks great, but there is quite a bit of fluid on the tranny and oil pan.

I'm not familiar with the Reatta, but am intrigued by this one. It does look like someone backed into a tree or post with it. the bumper isn't dented but the plastic trim around the third brake light is cracked real good.

i'm confused on the valuation as NADA lists it as being worth roughly $3000-$4500, but Edmunds says $1500?

When I take it out for a test drive, what should I look for and where are the trouble spots?

Thanks!

post-41915-143137932825_thumb.jpg

I never trust what NADA or Kelly Blue Book, they are always wrong, what I do is go to www.autotrader.com or www.traderonline.com and see what people are asking for them.

To me the price on the windshield seems a little high for that many miles, I will be putting on eBay probably tomorrow 2 Reatta's in 1 auction I have an 89 with 172,000 miles which is my daily driver and a 90 with 134,000 and for the pair my reserve will be set at only $3000

461114-MVC-312S.JPG

post-36162-143137932834_thumb.jpg

Sharp car!

The car is probably a 90 then, build date was 4/90, so I thought it might be an early '91 model.

I'll attach a pic of the rear damage when I get to my other computer.

The thing that struck me odd was how solid the interior was after 145000 miles? Are these cars known for durability of the interior materials or can I attribute that to someone taking really good care of the car over the years?

My daily 89 driver is in really good shape, it has 172,000 miles on it and what the owner before me did was swap the seats from side to side, it makes them last longer, the only thing now is the recliner is on the opp. side, of course taking care of the car as well.

Guest Greg Ross

There are replacement interior parts available. Several Selleres have promoted Carpet kits which we had concluded were generally of a sub-standard weave. The Reatta had deep 1st class lush carpet. Seat covers/ complete new suits of leather are available as are remanufactured Door Panels. Steering Wheels are getting recovered. Headliners are relatively simple to replace and most everything els doesn't see much wear and tear (unless abused)

More pictures are a great help

Guest imported_Mark K

There are two clues to as why this car is a '90 and not a '91. First is obviously the wheels, and second it has a burgundy interior and not a flame red one like the '91's had. If I am not mistaken the flame red was not available with claret exterior in '91 although some may have been made. Barney probably can shed more light on this subject.

Mark

Looked like a nice car until you get to the back. I would think that to repair the trunk lid and tail light assembly and other concealed damage would be about $1500.00 To do the oil pan gasket and maybe tranny lines and check the oil sending units as well as the rear main seal would be about $500.00 The interior loks great, but do all the electronics work? Now that I learned more about these cars I realize I probably paid to much for mine, but I like it, so I'm o.k. with that.

Good luck with your decision.

Guest jcc3inc

Hello,

From looking at your engine, it is NOT a '91 but earlier. However there seems to be

no Teves brake system. Did somebody change to the vacuum assist brakes? Otherwise it

looks like a nice car. You can likely find replacement rear light parts either from

Jim Finn or on Ebay.

Regards,

Jack C.

Guest smith356

I notice the front air dam is missing, too. Mine was torn off after a Semi threw some debris in front of me and I went over it. Hoping to replace mine when I visit Manikmekank for the spingfling. Look under there to be sure there's no other damage.