Wanted: 252 OHV 6 for 1954 Ambassador

I bought a 1954 Ambassador last month, out of a farmer's field where it had been sitting since 1971. Amazingly, I knew this car back in the late 1960s/early 1970s when it was still on the road. Red & white, mostly rust-free, 4-dr. Custom with 3-speed stick shift and 59,000 miles showing. Today, when I finally got all of the rats' nests out of the engine compartment, I discovered why it was put out to pasture in 1971: There is a hole in the side of the crankcase, and #6 connecting rod is broken! Does anyone have a good 252 overhead valve 6-cylinder engine for sale? If not, I may consider parting out this car, but hate to do that.

Pete Phillips

Sherman, TX.

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Jeeze, put a small block in it before you part it out. I would think actually a Rambler 327 V8 might bolt right in with the right bellhousing, and probably be cheap, since no one much cares about Ramblers. (trust me, I bought a really nice looking one a while back for less than $200). If you made a mild custom out of it with a late drivetrain it would probably be worth a little more in the long run.

parted out and scrapped is better than on the road running, regardless of what engine is in it?

That's kind of a short sighted view of things.

Oh well, it's just a Nash, have a '40 sedan with a rebuilt motor up to the farm and it's worth more crushed than it is whole.