Glue for dash knobs

AceCollins

I am putting my newly made (have had them a year) knobs on the dash. Some of the holes in the ones that were made for me are larger than the shafts. Any suggestions on a glue that will harden to filll the area and bond to the plastic and metal? My choke and throttle are going to be what looks like my biggest problems and as they are going to have to be used the most I have to get them only solidly. I have not taken the light knob off yet to see what I am going to be dealing with there.

I'd think that a small sliver of spring steel (like used on old time radio knobs) would take up the slack nicely, a dab of JB Weld in the knob should make the installation permanent. A small notch in the shaft may be required to keep the knob from working it's way off if you are rough with it. When you put the little shim in place, put a little bend in it, and when you put the knob on, make sure that the high part (middle) is facing the knob, the cut ends facing the shaft, that may give you a little more bite as well.

Guest imported_V12Bill

I have used 3M Structual Adhesive for jobs like this in the past. It adheres to everything and sets up within 10 minutes

Hi,

I don't want to give you any bad advise, but was looking at some of these knobs online a few days ago and remember that at least one (the wind shield wiper knob, for a '38 Buick) said that you should put the knob in extremely hot water and it would shrink to fit the knobs. Do not know if this applies to yours but this is how it is described on ebay item 290106443259 which you can take a look at. Also other knobs listed suggest using epoxy.

I tried a few different types of glue with no success, then talked to an old body guy at a car show. He suggested bondo. I mixed a tiny bit up, shoved into the knob holes with a small headed nail and low and behold, it seems to have worked. An hour later the throttle and choke pull out and push in like the old worn ones did. I am going to use them for a week and if they continue to hold, then I will affix the remainder of the knobs this way.

Hi Ace,

I'm facing a similar situation soon. I accidently broke the original knob off of the headlight switch on my recently acquired 1941 Continental. The broken off knob has totally vanished and I need a new one. Since John Moglia has quit the knob business, I understand that Chris Herrell has been producing replacement knobs. I haven't been able to find an email address for Chris, but I see him bidding on ebay stuff now and then. Does anybody know how to get in contact with Chris? Bob Boos used to supply glue for his window handle knobs.

Now, to the point - - - I am considering using some epoxy glue, the kind you mix the black and the white stuff together like JB Weld. The 3M Structual Adhesive that Bill recommends sounds good too.

If the Bondo doesn't work, let us know.

Thanks,

post-32768-143137932274_thumb.jpg