A/C compressors

padgett

Now that have just replaced the HR-6 in the Reatta with a new compressor, I need another for my Fiero (what I thought was a bad pulley bearing is a snapped shaft in the threaded area).<P>Because the Fiero is only used occasionally and then I rarely use the air, was considering going with a rebuilt compressor ($210 @ Autozone with 1 year warrenty) rather than another new HR-6 ($390 inc shipping from GMPD).<P>Will change over to 134A and variable oriface tube in process. This seems to be a no-braner these days.<P>Any comments good or bad ? How well do the rebuilt units hold up ?

My experience with rebuilt HR-6 rebuilts hasn't been good, most leaked oil (and I assume freon)at the case parting line. They were all purchased from NAPA, and I THINK under different brands over a period of a few years. We're talking about 4 compressors here, not a lot to really draw good conclusions, but enough to be a pain to me. Next I'll buy new GM, I've heard they're pretty good.

I got 3 problem free years out of the rebuilt unit from Pep Boys before I sold the car for other reasons. Converted to 134a at the same time. Probably still running strong. I would do a remanufactured one in a heartbeat. Don't know manufacture or model of compressor. Good luck and season's best, Robert

Hi there padgett, For me i would never put a aftermarket parts in my car. Maybe odd ball stuff. But, Not mechanical parts. Because if the aftermarket parts were good it would be hard for me to make a living. But i am not knocking aftermarket. I just like oem stuff. padgett, Let me do some checking because i might have a spare. My cost on a new is $ 277.00 for GM. Part # 15-20248 or long # 113478. Put i well check for you to see if i have one around. I guessed 86 for year and that you have a V6 in it?

Let me make that more clear. I will check around my house for a used off one of my Fiero's or i can get you a new one for $ 277.00 GM OEM. I would need the year and engine size to make sure that is the right one.