Sign in to follow this  
no more

zephyr hot water heater w/cabin filter 40-41

Ok fellas, look in your scrappers out back, i need the xtra flapper in the cowl vent, i expect

that it has a screen like filter...think stove top vent screen...cowl vent

rams fresh air thru screen into side of ht wtr heater....cowl box most obvious will

not have the 2 big holes open..see pic

post-42764-143137931635_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

I always wondered what the holes in the rear of the vent box were for. I would like to know more about this item.

My '40 Zephyr has the heater as shown in the 01:11PM post of zeffer1940. The flex duct is only on the right side of the heater and the large opening on the left of the vent box is blocked off. There is a screen in the cowl vent opening and below that are two filters, accessible from the outside, to catch small stuff. The extra flapper closes off the outside air from the interior of the car and forces it into the heater. I have the build sheet for my car and it shows the factory option as an "Air conditioner".

Norm

WOW!!! I HAVE ONLY SEEN 1 IN A CAR....THE OLD "GUY SHAFFER" 40 3 WINDOW COUPE....CAN U PHOTO IT?? IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE RAREST OPTIONS AROUND...KINDA COOL IDEA..

JEFF

At present the heater is out of the car. It will be a while before I install it as I have to figure out how I want to deal with the radio first.

Norm

Norm, you know Jake Fleming does radios, competently and reasonably don't you?? Good luck

Thanks Rolf - I've had Jake do work on my distrubutor - he's great! My radio dilemma is whether to use the original or a period correct aftermarket unit. The original is in really bad shape with melted components and baked/warped plastic parts. The aftermarket Philco has the proper mounting kit and it already works.

Jeff, I hope I am doing this right. The first picture shows the flap in it's open position. When the handle is pulled toward the seat it closes the bottom outlet of the vent box and forces the air out the round opening into the heater core. The second pic shows the block out plate on the left outlet of the vent box. The third pic shows the cowl vent and screen. If the screen is removed you can access the right and left portions of the filters. The fourth pic is the core cover. Fifth is the top of the core showing the defroster outlets. Sixth is the faceof the heater core. Last shows the defroster cable, heater switch and wiring harness. Hope this helps.

Norm

IM001240.jpg

IM001241.jpg

IM001242.jpg

IM001245.jpg

IM001246.jpg

IM001247.jpg

IM001249.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

That explains the two holes in the vent box!! I have never seen one of these. Were they available for the post war cars? What kind of filters were used? You say they were accessable from the outside of the car through the vent? Could you post pictures of them also? What other use would the left hole be used for as it is blanked off for the heater shown?

Thanks, Bill

I am not familiar with the post war cars, but I have some guesses. In the other thread about heaters, abelincoln talks about screw holes in the vent box - perhaps they were for mounting the flap assembly at the bottom of the vent box as shown in my pics. That might suggest that the system was available in the post war cars. The filters are roughly 4" x 6" and were a twisted fiber composition. When I removed them from my '40, they fell apart. I replaced the fibers with foam filter material and put them back in the vent box. They are installed and I don't expect to remove them for a long time - thus no pictures now. They are accessible from under the cowl vent screen. I would guess that the large holes for the flexible vent hose were provided on both sides of the vent box so that the system could work in right hand drive models for foreign sales. This is mostly speculation - but seems logical to me.

Norm