Zephyr Transmission?

lincolnV12

I recently acquired a large pile of V12 parts and among the parts was a transmission. The previous owner couldn?t remember if the transmission belonged to a Zephyr or not.

The number stamped into the top of the bell housing above an inspection cover is HTT4643* (star) I believe and the number cast into the tail housing is 86H -1514-9.

From these numbers, is it possible to ID this tranny?

Thanks

Sounds like you may have a '38-'39 Zephyr transmission, the # on the case is usually the VIN #, but the T's in your # are bogus. You can easily tell if it is one of those valuable units if the opening for the cover is on the right hand side rather than on the more common left hand side, and if there is a very odd shaped shift lever. What year car are you working on??

I don't have a car yet. I was looking for a V8 flathead for my 38 Ford pickup when I found this pile of V12 engines and parts. The owner was moving to Florida and just wanted everything gone so I bought the whole pile of parts. About three pickup loads of stuff. I have 6 v12 engines, and more shocks, heads, cranks, cams, water pumps and misc junk than I know what to do with.

Perhaps the T's are really 1's or 7's. I'll have to go look again and get a picture. I'll also check the open and there is an odd shaped shift lever.

Thanks

Guest imported_V12Bill

The 38 to 39 transmissions have value to the owner of a 38 or 39 car. Some hot rodders like them because the shift is on the right side of the transmission and they can get more room in the car for themselves. The gears are just the plain old Ford gears though and not the coveted 40 to 48 gears.

If those "T's" are actually "1's" then the serial number would indicate a mid year 1941. Does the transmission have an Overdrive on it? The "86H-1514-9" is probably really 86H-4514-9 and is the basic p/n for 1/2 of the ball cap that secures the torque tube to the transmission.

Yes, that is a picture of probally a 1941 LZ non OD transmission, as Peecher so correctly surmized, the next thing is to open it up and see if you have a good set of the Z gears Bill mentioned, the cluster should have 26 teeth on the front gear, but it could have 25-28 or 29 teeth there too