Reatta sunroof

Barney Eaton

Thanks to John Mahlberg (in Ohio) I now have a sunroof to attempt to help people with their sunroof problems. <P>The unit John shipped is an RX-7 unit and works. I have dissassembled one side and cleaned it to understand everything that is happening. <P>If you have a non functioning sunroof, I will be glad to help you solve your problems.<BR>Just send me a note....Barney@texas.net

Guest trofeo73

You could try cleaning the drainage tubes that run down the door posts. They get clogged up from time to time. Sunroofs are never water tight, they leak alittle. The drainage tubes carry away what little water gets in. Just a thought.

Barney, I have an 89 that has left side cable broken. Can you replace just one side or is it best just to do both at the same time? Are cables available...... THANKS

There is a drain tube in each corner. Sounds like one of yours is plugged and the water is pooling. You get some dripping but when you move the car the water is running to another functioning drain.<P><BR>You can replace either cable. There is an end slider molded (or somehow permanently attached) to the sunroof end. Because of that the right and left side are different.<BR>You can get the cable at your Mazda dealer but not your GM dealer <BR>From the Mazda exploded view, it appears the part number is 69-842Z

What you are looking for is about a 3/8 in diameter hole in each corner. The ones in the front may be hard to see because of the track etc. The ones in the back may also hard to see because of the sunroof being in the way. Weed eater line would probably work well and not damage anything (as a tool to unplug the drain holes)

Guest llaramie

Barney,<BR>Are you able to determine how much different the RX7 SUNROOF panel is in conformatation from an actual REATTA SUNROOF? Is there a curvature difference. Is it noticable. Is it acceptable in appearance. Does the RX7 panel switch with the Reatta panel right down to the headliner snaps and track bolts.

John posted a good explaination earlier, you might search back about 6 weeks.<P>A. the metal top does not have the same contour but can be transferred from the Reatta to the Mazda unit.<P>B. The Mazda switches and dome light are different so the Reatta light and switches need to be transferred. The Reatta dome light mounts on the sunroof frame with four screws that are not drilled on the Mazda unit.<P>C. Everything else is interchangeable.<P>The units unbolt from the roof as a unit after the headliner is removed. According to John it is pretty simple. The unit John sent to me could be operated on the bench as a unit for testing before installing in the car.<P>If you get a Mazda unit from a wrecking yard. I would clean it and lube the cables and guides before installing. I have removed one side rail, completely disassembled (which is necessary to replace a cable) clean and lubed the slides and guides and you can easilly operate one side with your fingers when it is serviced.<P>I will be glad to walk you through the process on the phone if you need help.<p>[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Barney Eaton ]