Wheel spacers

Guest riv63gs

Guest riv63gs

I've read the all great information about using Rally wheels on first gen Rivs. I'm putting '72 rims on my '63. From what I read, I am going to require a 1/4 inch spacer. Will any local tire guy be able/willing to do this? What should it cost for spacers? Has anyone heard any horror stories(other than tires rubbing) of doing this kind of wheel swap? Just a couple extra questions. Thanks

Personally I'd sell the ones for the 72 and find some from a 64 Wildcat or 65 - 67 Riv that was a front/rear drum brake car. The biggest thing that scares be about wheel spacers is that you shorten the effective length of the lug stud and if you can't get a good bite on the entire stud, you could be facing some safety issues. Just my two cents.

If you really want to use the 72 wheels, I'd opt for wheel adapters rather than wheel spacers. You bolt the adapter on using the five lug nuts from the original wheels; and that's something else - on the left hand side of a 63 Riv, you have left hand lug nuts (hence the big L stamped in the center of the stud) The adapter has its own set of studs in the same bolt pattern and you bolt your wheel to that. This way you can also add any width you want to space them out. You can find "wheel adapter" vendors on ebay. You might not find the size you want on an auction but look at they "ebay store" and you'll see everything they have to offer. When my wife was playing the two local Ford dealers in town against each other she got the one to put some 18" BLING on her 500. She doesn't like the tires and she's afraid of dinging the wheels so we have the OEM ones on it right now. The 18's are going on my 64. Two problems both solved with wheel adapters. The offset for the FWD wheels is taken care of and the Ford wheel's 4.5" bolt circle will now bolt on to my car's 5" bolt circle. I bought 4 of them for $99.00 plus S&H.

Guest riv63gs

Thanks for the advice. I would never want to damage my Riv or even take a chance. That being said, would anyone like to swap a set of 1972 Rally wheels in nice condition for a set of 64-67s? I have the TRi-Shield logo centercaps to fit these as well.

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. I would never want to damage my Riv or even take a chance. That being said, would anyone like to swap a set of 1972 Rally wheels in nice condition for a set of 64-67s? I have the TRi-Shield logo centercaps to fit these as well. </div></div>

Uhhhh... Ed's shorthand wording is a little off. There technically isn't a '64 to '67 wheel. There is a '64-65 wheel that has a 2" center hole and there's a '66 to early '67 wheel that has a 2 1/8" center hole. AND there is a late '67 to 1970 also with 2 1/8" hole that is contoured to clear disc brake calipers. All 3 of these wheels will work (have correct offset), needing perhaps just the center alignment ring to be removed.

I suggest you post a new post on the forum, but be sure to include the year in the post so more people will read it (lots of members don't read every post, particularly if it appears not to apply to their years of interest)... something like "wanted: '64 to '70 chrome wheel set".

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor