two unidentified frames

Risto

Hello

I was guided to this forum from VCCA forum. I have two frames, which need to be identified. The other was supposed to be a -28 Chevy frame, but apparently it is not. It resembles it a lot, but there is some clear differences. The appr. wheelbase is 110" and the filler cap of the fuel tank is at the right side of the rear beam. These match with, for example, to -29 Pontiac. However, I cannot find exact information or a clear picture of the Pontiac frames. Note the odd notch in the frame right behind the rear hinge of the front leaf spring. That is not common in cars of the late 20's/ early 30's. The car has mecanical four wheel brakes. There is a fragment of the rivetted brass(?) plate present in the back of the rear beam. The last stamped characters in the plate are present and they are "-28". See the pictures, but don't get confused about the other parts in the pictures, there are parts from several old cars in that pile.

http://ladakerho.fi/ladagalleria/thumbnails.php?album=601

The other frame is a big question mark to me. Literally, since it is from a massive luxury person car. We've had this frame for decades and we still dont know what it is. Generally it's been identified as Mercedes, but I cannot find a match. The small oval brass badge (20mmx40mm) on the edge of the left fender has French text in it "AILE V.D.P. 9652 BREVETEE" This would indicate a French or Belgian broduction at least for the body. The front fenders and the luggage carrier at the rear are possibly the best indicators.

http://ladakerho.fi/ladagalleria/thumbnails.php?album=600

Best wishes

Risto Nurmi

Oulu, Finland

edit: I added the pictures of the brass badge.

Hi

I have gathered some information about the big frame. The brass plate indicates to Van den Plas body shop in Belgium (1898-1935). They made special bodies for several manufacturers. I was able to pick these from French autobase website.

-Minerva

-Metallurgique

-Imperia

-Rolls Royce

-Hispano-Suiza

-Excelsior

-Mercedes-Benz

-Packard

-Delage

-Cadillac

-Bentley

Does anybody have information or pictures about the frames of these cars. The dating is approximately 1920's, from mid to later half. If you know that some of these is definitely not the manufacturer of my frame, inform it too.

Greetings

Risto Nurmi

Oulu, Finland

• 3 months later...

The big frame is now been identified. It is a 1926-28 Belgian Metallurgique. It appeared that there is one similar car under renovation here in Finland. The other, Very much GM like, frame is still a mystery.

Risto Nurmi

Oulu, Finland