'39 Buick Century 15" wheel specs???????

airbrushguy

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear airbrushguy:

In regards to your question about how many bars are in the 39 Buick grilles, ther are in fact 2 answers. Buick started with what I call the "41 bar" grille. As they got complaints about cars overheating (39's are notorious for that), they switched to the "35 bar" grille (less bars, more air flow). Both the right and left side grilles should be the same, as the car will look "odd" if they aren't, but it would be tough to figure out why it looks "odd" if you didn't know this fact.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Centurys used 15 inch wheels from 1936 to 1942. Rim size was 15X7. Tire size was 7.00 X 15. </div></div>

Yes, Centuries did have 15" wheels, but were they 7" wide? Also I'd like to know stock setback.

Thanks

• 4 years later...

If you use 16" wheels you will slightly better mph per engine rev

The 1942 shop manual has (pg 10-7

Series 40B

tires 16" x 6.50"

wheels 16" x 6.00"

722.7 revs per mile at 50 MPH

Series 60

tires 15" x 7.0"

wheels 15" x 6.50"

717.4 revs per mile at 50 MPH

No off set dimensions

Guess 1939 are the same.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Wow !!! It seems you didn't you didn't get an answer the first time nearly 5 years ago so better luck this time. What do you mean by "setback" ?? I can't say I'm familiar with this term in this context. If you nominate some specific reference points maybe it can be measured for you.

Danny

Assume is the off set dimension of hub (bolts) from the center line. Guess 15" & 16" are same

Just go a measure a wheel for the man, as those in the USA have not helped in the last 5 years !! :):D

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Wow !!! It seems you didn't you didn't get an answer the first time nearly 5 years ago so better luck this time. What do you mean by "setback" ?? I can't say I'm familiar with this term in this context. If you nominate some specific reference points maybe it can be measured for you.

Danny

Backspacing is what I need. The wheel width seems like it would be around 5-5.5", am I right.

This project has gone in a completely different direction since 5 years ago. Now I need to know the original width and backspacing of the wheels and when I searched I found my old post....still unanswered.

Thanks

• 2 years later...
Guest Kejsaren

hi guys

when we tried to put those spare tire covers on, we discover that the whels are to big, we can´t put them on???

the tire size is 7.00x15 as the should be, is there any differens between special and century covers?

thanks

Janne

Janne

Welcome back. It is about time you started work again on a good car :o

By spare tire cover do you a the metal cover over the sidemounts spares? (Have a photo?)

Modern tires have different shapes to 1939 tires. Other people have had the same problems with tires too big for sidemounts

When I purchased my '39 (with side mounts) I knew very little about them. The first thing I noticed was the side mounts were missing the "cup" that the threaded rod goes thru. I started looking for those "cups". First lesson, the hole in the center of the wheel is different between the small cars (Special and Century) and the large cars (Roadmaster/Limited). I was able to find cups for the large cars but not the small cars. While working on this I discovered (1) because the previous owners did not have the cup, they used a torch to make one lug nut hole larger for the threaded rod. (2) somewhere in this process I also discovered that my side mount rims were not even Buick but smaller GM cars with something like a 4.75 bolt pattern and even smaller center hole.

The good news was there was/is a correct spare tire and rim in the trunk. I gave up on finding the correct "cups" and had thick metal brackets made that use two rim bolt holes to mount and the threaded rod goes thru that bracket so that the side mounts can be properly tightened in place. (I have extra brackets if anyone has a similar problem)

post-30596-143142549426_thumb.jpg

Guest Kejsaren

ok thanks for the info guys

i suspect the tiresize, i have the 7.00x15 and that one is 730mm in diameter by 210mm wide

i also have some older 6.50x15 and those are 700mm in diameter by 200mm wide.

maybe i have to byu 6 new smaller dimension tires:mad: