original oil filter cartridge

Guest 1930

Hello Fellow enthusiasts, after researching further into a subject that so far has appeared unanswerable I have concluded that I have made some mistakes in how I search this out. I have a 29/30 Dodge DA and also have its origianl oil filter, without making statements that can only be partially proven by documents I have recently obtained it seems that the original oil filter and its accompany sticker was shared by Pierce arrow and Hupmobile and Packard. The years that Pierce used the L-2 L4 and the L-5 Purolator cartridge originally on their cars was from 33 to at least the catalogs present year that I aquired of 35. There are what I belive as maybe being model #s of vehicles that used these and they are as folows 836,845,1236,1242,1247,1245,1255. I am guessing these are vehicle model #s but maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong. Anyway I am in need of a better photo and dimensions of the correct original oil filter sticker that would have been on these filters. I am trying to reproduce this sticker for my filter and have only this poor picture to go by. I have spent a great deal of time on this so far with no results other then collecting info and learning more about the oil filters available long ago then I thought I would ever have time for so if someone were to have what I am looking for or could at least point me in the direction that will lead me reults then I would be very willing to pay them for their time. Thanks for any consideration in this matter. Please view my attached pict.

post-48869-143137929938_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 31Pierce43

Greetings, 1930,

You are correct, the 8 cylinder Pierce started to use the Purolator L4 in 1933. The V-12's used the L-5 Purolator. The numbers listed in your posting are indeed the Pierce model numbers for the mid-thirties. Model numbers with the "8" at the beginning were 8 cylinder cars. Similarly model numbers with the "12" at the beginning were 12 cylinder cars.

Classic Car Club of America offers reproduction Purolator labels. Not sure of their exact application, but might be worth a try. I know these are round labels, and I have seen them used on several cars. I cannot recall seeing a square one like in your picture. Here is the information from their website:

PUROLATOR OIL FILTER DECAL. Nice finishing touch to a restored engine compartment. Red/gold/black 2-1/8_ round decal. $3.95 each. Please include 10% for packing and postage. California residents add 7-3/4% sales tax. Southern California Region CCCA, P.O. Box 3742, Orange, CA 92857.

Good luck in your quest. Happy Motoring.

31Pierce43

Thanks for all the interesting info, I have seen that add for the round sticker, am currently working on reproducing the square one, I have the dimensions now and am working on the exact font for the lettering, windows vista system has the correct font for some of the letters but just try and find a printer that will work on my laptop that has vista installed, not easy, anyway still plugging away, thanks again.