Wood spoke wheels

Guest 1929Chandler

Guest 1929Chandler

Hi, Everyone I finally got more time to get back to work on my Chandler. I am sanding the wood spokes. I am open to sugestions on what to refinish them with? I would think some kind of marine wood finish that would be natural in color and not too brittle for the flexing of the spokes. I have all metal except outside ring removed . Spokes are in exclent shape and very tight. So I am not seprating them indivigally. Any sugestions on type or brands ?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

I have revarnished mine 11 times in 48 years. The third time I refinished the wheels from bare wood and metal out. I drive my car daily and find that none of the new varathane type products last. First they don't seem to bond well with the wood and they the chip and peel off. Good Spar varnish is the best. From bare wood I put on five coats (starting with 20% varnish then 40% varnish up until a 100% coat). Then I striped my wheels and then I put on three full strength coats. Doing it this way I find that after aboout six years I only need to scuff the finish and put on two full strength coats without having to re stripe the wheels.