Bad Computer

Guest grkman1

Guest grkman1

I thought I would bring this to a separate post so more people may view it.

Well I picked up the Reatta...the A/C works great...the only thing is that when I shut the system down, meaning no heating or cooling, I still hear the compressor cycling.

He also said my computer needs changing because it is giving off false info, such as door ajar, fuel low, parking brake on. He said that I may be able to get it reprogrammed and not change it. Is this possible? which computer is he talking about and where in the car is it??

He states that there must be a short in the system to give me these false diagnostic results. and that the cruise control and Antilock brake light are on the same circuit and that is why they are not working

Your opinion

thanks

There are two computers.... the ECM (engine control module) and the BCM (body control module) If it is one of the computers, you need to know which or you will be changing both at your expense.

Go to the A/C section of the online manual (www.reatta.net) and look at sections

1B1 and 1C Section 1C-13 starts the diagnostics and you may be able to work your way through this section, find the problem and maybe fix it yourself.

I did not find a diagnostic chart for your problem, but there is one for "Compressor always engaged" that might give you some clues.

I am parting out a 89 Reatta and will have all the computers and boxes (not sure what they all do) except the brake and radio on eBay next week, unless someone wants to make me an offer. As far as I know every thing worked on the car.

The boxes were removed from the following locations, 1 from behind the glove box another from under the dash drivers side and one under the console.

Guest alex_houston

My 2 cents, it would be the BCM, not the ECM. That is if this is your problem at all. (The one right behind the glove box)

Guest grkman1

yes thats all that is wrong I complained to teh mechanic about the emergency brake light that didnt work after he replaced the calipes in the back the last time. he looked and fixed the light. This morning I started the car and got that the emergency brake was on...when it was off

The mechanic says this is all part of the poor computer I hope he is right. Anyone know how much somethig like this will coast? Can they be reprogrammed?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest grkman1

I was now told that it was the BCM (Body Control Module). I also found that it is not possible to reprogram this module. He feels that the proplem shold be diagnosed correctly before spending more monies on the module. The cost for the diagnosis is $75-150.00 The cost of a new module that I got was $178.29

Seems to me that I should just go for the module. My question Can this module give me false readings on oil amount, coolant amount, parking brake being on, oil pressure and what about the cruise that doesnt work.

Your thoughts and commments are most appreciated

Thanks

Is he looking at the "diagnostics" section on the screen to determine all these circuits are bad? If so, unless they are flashing they are not bad. It is a very common mistake to go to the diagnostics section and drill down to each function and see the message and think it is telling you there is a problem. The messages are always there. The problems are not. The better diagnosis is to see what BCM codes are set through "Diagnostic Mode". Pressing off and warm on the climate screen at the same time will display fault codes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This morning I started the car and got that the emergency brake was on...when it was off </div></div>

this is also very common and is a minor adjustment of the parking brake release. Sometimes the release handle/rod will not fully retract after the brake is released. Try pushing it in and see if that turns the light off. Go for the obvious first. Blame the computer later.

Just a minor point: the BCM is just as reprogrammable as the ECM. In fact it has two PROMs, not just one. However, very few people know how to reprogram the BCM - compared to the ECM, there is very little data available.

$178 sounds quite high, ask Jim Finn.