Thompson Engine Valves

drivein

New here,, Does anyone know were I can find a list for Thompson Valves. I need a cross reference are a list of valve size so I can tell what thay will fit. I have over a 100 boxes of new valves for Thompson Products that was in Cleveland, Ohio. Most are in the wax paper. The few boxes that were marked was from the 50's and 60's and have from 6 to 12 valves per box. Thanks

• 2 years later...
Guest irtengines

I am looking for some valves for a 1932 allis chalmers tractor. They where made by Thompson. I was wondering if you had gotten any information on the valves that you have or could point me in a direction for further research. Thanks.

I have a book but it only goes up to 1938. The problem with the Thompson book it is sorted by car and there is no listing by valve number. It takes a lot of time to scan the pages. List a couple numbers and I will see if they are in the book. That way you may know if they go back to the 30's.

The quote above looking for Allis Chalmers tractor. Need the model number and I can tell you the Thompson number.

Edited by hwellens
Added Data (see edit history)

Guest Xprefix28truck

Do you realize the original post is over 2 years old from a person with just 3 post, all on the same day? Just letting you know.

Guest irtengines

Yes, I understand that the post is 2 years old. Have you ever looked for parts this rare. When looking for old stuff such as valves for a 1927 allis chalmers you use every avenue available. I took a shot and if it doesn't work I'm no worse off then I was before.

Guest irtengines
I have a book but it only goes up to 1938. The problem with the Thompson book it is sorted by car and there is no listing by valve number. It takes a lot of time to scan the pages. List a couple numbers and I will see if they are in the book. That way you may know if they go back to the 30's.

The quote above looking for Allis Chalmers tractor. Need the model number and I can tell you the Thompson number.

The owner tells me that the tractor is a 1927 allis chalmers, Rumely doall. I am rebuilding the engine. The engine model is a Waukesha XA-282. I have valve numbers but as you mentioned they probably will not help.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

irtengines, I haven't rebuilt an engine from the ground up in years so maybe some of this has changed but I'm just trying to help. Back in the 60's and 70's a good machine shop was usually in an auto parts building and didn't worry about the availability of most valves. They would just go to one of the countermen(my other job) and have him find a suitable replacement in the size charts. If a new valve didn't match exactly it was remachined until it did, as in stem length, head diameter and new grooves, slots or holes however the keepers were held in place. I'm hoping we haven't lost this ability too!

Howard Dennis

My book says the Wauk XA is in a Allis Chalmers Combine. The exhaust valve is S290, intake is V290. Like the person stated above, an auto machine shop should be able to match the stem diameter and machine the head and cut the keeper groves. I had this done for an old car and it was about $50 per valve.

Guest irtengines
My book says the Wauk XA is in a Allis Chalmers Combine. The exhaust valve is S290, intake is V290. Like the person stated above, an auto machine shop should be able to match the stem diameter and machine the head and cut the keeper groves. I had this done for an old car and it was about $50 per valve.

Yes, I can do the valve work myself. I was just fishing to see what I could come up with. Save myself some work, I appreciate the info. I found XA valves for 59.00 ea from a parts dealer in PA. Thanks again.