engine help

I believe 302 was a I6 engine used in the 50's/60's in some chev or GMC trucks. I know the valves are the same as my Pontiac except that they are .040" oversize and have a different face angle. In 1969 I needed valves and these were a simple modification. You might try the "inliners" website and forum for more information.

Guest Dave Wyatt

If it's a 6 cylinder, it would be the GMC truck engine. They are the same general design as the Chevy 6 of the pre '63 or so era.

If it's a later V8, it's either a bored 283 or the factory Z-28 engine of 67 - 69.

i think it cam from lat modle gmc 1950 and early modle 1960 and my dad is tring to get 1 to put in his 1928 essex rat rod that he is working on he also told me that u could put a 198 heads on to a 283 and i was sapose to rasie the comprision up to 9.1 or something like that i think it was those engines anyways

Dave's right. The GMC I6 302 was a popular truck motor in the late 50s. It was pretty much a drop in replacement for the similar vintage Stovebolt Chevy six, and there's no replacement for cubic inches. Lots of aftermarket parts available at the time.

The Chevy 302 V-8 was only offered in the 67-69 Camaro Z/28s and was created by mating a 4.00" bore 327 block with a 3.00" stroke 283 crank. This motor was developed by Chevy to comply with the 5.0 liter max displacement limit in Trans Am racing at the time. As an aside, combining the leftover 327 crank and 283 block yielded the Chevy 307, as found in legions of Novas and Malibus in the early 1970s (and not to be confused with the Olds 307 of the 1980s).