Radio Wiring

Richard S

I am changing the Delco radio in my 90 for a 1/5 Din model. Radio dimensions are within 1/8". Minor modifications to case enabled me to use the old mounts. Note that WalMart sells a harness for $7 that is supposed to be compatible with the Reatta. It does have the right plugs, but the active prongs are not in the right holes, and colors are incorrectly alligned. Also need to add some prongs to make it work. I am hoping Radio Shack will have the "connector/prongs" to fit the plug [i'm sure there is name for these, and it is probably in the manual, I'm just to tired to search right now]. If so, it should make a very tidy conversion. If Radio Shack failes me, anyone have any other sources?

Wiring in the new Jensen unit using the manual wiring diagram at page 8A-150, Jense instructions, and a diagram of the connectors in my 90. Checked the actual connectors against Greg Fell's diagram in the faq and found that Greg shows 3 non-speaker connectors, while my car has only two [7 and 6 pin]. Surprising, since I am working on the car I bought from Greg after he removed the cd. Anyway, I have three questions:<P>First, the manual shows a dark green wire in the 7 pin connector which I take to be the "entertainment and comfort date line". There is no such analog on the radio. What should be done with this wire? What is the consequence of not using it?<P>Second, both the 7 and 6 pin connectors have brown/white wires. I assume both are ignition controlled hot wires. The radio requires only 1. Can I use either one?<P>Third, the 7 pin connector has both grey and purple/white wires. The manual shows the grey to be "instrument panel dimming" and the purple/white to be "vf dimming input". The radio uses only 1 wire to control its lighting. Which should I use? What is the consequence of ignoring the other?

Crutchfield sells them seperately, although you can go to any car stereo store and get them. I don't know how much I trust the Wal-Mart stuff.<P>Do you have the Bose system? I would think that would have a different adapter than the standard Delco radio?<P>Also, the speakers in the Reatta are 10 ohm. You may find that you need to replace the speakers to get better sound out of your new head unit.

Don't leave me here with this giant hole in my dash. If anyone has some ideas/answers to my last post, please take a moment on or off the forum to respond. I would like to get things back together ASAP, but want to do it right and just once.

1. The "entertainment and comfort date line" might be a constant 12v to keep the clock and radio stations preset. If I am right (use a meter to check it out) then you can wire this up to your 12v constant on your new radio. (I think it should be a yellow wire on the new unit.)<P>2. If both are 12v switched, then yes, it won't matter.<P>3. I would use the purple and white. I don't think there'd be any problems with leaving the other wire alone.<P>-ben