O2 sensor and odor

Just replaced O2 sensor because mileage was not up to expected. Continued to get error code 013, mileage dropped dramatically 12mpg<BR> bad odor in car when I stopped. Removed "new" sensor and found it black with soot, reinstalled old unit, odor seemed to go away, but still get intermittent o13 code. ED07 at .45 V which seems within spec. Any ideas? SES light comes on after a few miles , then goes out til car is shut off for a while. Added fuel injector cleaner at time of replacing sensor, about 3/4 tank, got horrible mileage balance of that tank. Just refilled and will recheck w/old sensor. Notice the lock is broken off but connection seems tight.

Is the .45 volts with the car running? The voltage should jump all over the place if the sensor is hot enough and in closed loop. It should be somewhere in the range of about .2 - .8 volts. From your other post it looks like you are having trouble getting into diagnostics so they may be some other type of communication problem. frown.gif" border="0 If you can't enter diagnostics it will be difficult to track down any other items to find the cause of the rich condition. The only suggestions I have at this time are to check the battery connections, disconnect and check for corrosion between the battery and connector, plus check the main feed and ground connections inside the little plastic boxes on the right fender, (one is behind the battery). You should also check the connections to the ECM and BCM, or any connecttions you can find. Check the main feed wire at the alternator as well as the engine grounds, one is below the coil pack and there is another sensor ground on the rear head, in the area of the PCV valve on the passengers side. While you are investigating, load test the battery and also the charging from the alternator. Poor electrical capacity will cause all sorts of gremlins.

Getting into diagnostics is a problem with a 90, the o2 sensor problem is a 91 and all codes are avail..the only problem indicated is a SES light shortly after restarts. When checked while driving and light on I get 013C when light goes out I get 013H. This happened with old and new sensor, but was worse with the new and got terrible mileage and baaaad odor when I stopped. The old one doesn't cause but a little odor and mileage is subpar but not terrible. Will check connections you mentioned, just had to replace the + cable on another 90...it had rotted away at the battery...fun job, not cheap either. I have 4 total, 3 90's ,1 91 Not sure if bragging or complaining smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 <BR>Thanks for the good advice.

.45v is reading with engine off, has little to do with operation. Frankly it sounds like your new sensor is also a dud. (EO13 is caused by O2 sensor not cycling).<P>In operation it should be switching above and below .45 2-20 times a second (cross counts). <BR>Keep in mind that the sensor must reach 600F before it will work properly. This usually takes a few minutes from a cold start.<P>With a 13 set the engine is forced to run "open loop" and will tend to be way rich since the engineers will "avoid lean at all cost". <P>I would first try yet another O2 sensor and disconnect the battery for 30 seconds so that all of BLM cells (mixture correction values which were learned with a failing system) are cleared.

Put the old sensor back in and went for a drive, still get an SES light intermittently but prior to I do get frequent voltage changes between .3 and .9v During time light is on voltage stays pretty steady at .56v. When light goes off I clear codes and all seems well. Mileage seems much better w/old sensor than new. Will return Bosch sensor and see if they will exchange...thought Bosch was a good name..it did come from autozone however. Any part #, will order from GMparts, like to keep spares around anyway.