1922 Dodge Touring Car

KarlGolden

I am actively pursuing any and all information pertaining to the purchase of a 1922 Dodge Touring Car. I have looked at the vehicle and it appears to be fair to good condition (not restored). For the most part the vehicle appears to be original. The tires and wood spoke wheels look to be in good condition. The body is solid and paint is fair. There is evidence if cracking in the paint where the rear fenders meet the running boards. The cloth/canvass top is in fair condition and the frame has been welded in a couple of places, but is operational. The interior (seats) appears to be in good condition with no obvious signs of significant wear and/or tears. The engine is original, however there has been some modifications to what appears to be the coil (ignition system). Although I have never driven the vehicle, I have personal knowledge it is road worthy and runs. I know the current owner (a relative who has owned the vehicle for the past 10-12 years) and prior to that I knew previous owner(s)who owned the vehicle since the early 80's. I want to make certain the vehicle is worth the asking price, as it needs work. I would appreciate any infromation from anyone who has recently purchased the same vehicle and/or something similar, who could possibly provide some guidelines to consider prior to purchasing the vehicle.

This is currently for sale in Vancouver, WA

1925 DODGE BROTHERS TOURING CAR - $1950

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: sale-286409677@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-02-28, 8:01PM PST

COMPLETE CAR PURCHASED FROM ORIGINAL OWNERS SON. ENGINE RUNS BUT HAS BURNT VALVE. CAR IS PARTIALLY DIS-ASSEMBLED AND IN STORAGE. CAR NEEDS TO BE RE-DONE BUT EVERYTHING IS THERE EXCEPT THE CANVAS TOP. ELECTRIC START, 3 SPEED, 4 CYLINDER. PARTS ARE AVAILABLE FOR THESE CARS AS QUITE A FEW WERE BUILT. NEED TO SELL AS NO ROOM TO STORE -

Peter,

I don't have any photos of the car as of yet. My, wife's uncle is asking $9,500. for the car. I recently asked a friend of mine, who worked on the car in the 80's and he said sight unseen the car could be worth any where from $8,000-9,000. Like I said this is all new to me and just getting started in the vintage car colletion. Because I know the car I don't want to lose the deal, but I don't pay any more than what the car is worth, and not having a base line price makes it diificult. I'll try to get some photos of the car. Thanks for your response.

Guest leadfoot

I've owned my '23 DB, produced in Oct. 1922, since 1991. There were two different versions built in 1922 - a low radiator/hood and a high radiator/hood car. The high hood was produced from summer 1922 until the model change over to a different bodied car in late 1923. I don't have the exact months handy, but could look them up.

The asking price seems high based on the info you've provided. You need to know that there is a condition price guideline for antique cars, for whatever it's worth. It's on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being a high value restored car and 5 being pretty much a parts car. Most cars out there are probably no better than a 3 +/-. My Old Cars Price Guide lists these cars at about $7,000 for a #3 condition car.

As with most antique car restoration projects, you will be amazed at the cost. For example if you want to replace the tires on this 1922 DB, figure about $1,000 for 5 new WWW tires and tubes. Even working on it will be a challenge. It's a simple car, but it has a lot of quirky things about it that you just can't get help on from most local shops.

One thing that I would really be concerned about are the welds on the frame. Was the workmanship good and is the frame straight.

Anyway, like Peter suggests, why don't you take some digital photos and post them here so that we can possibly give you some advice. Peter did that a while back and the great looking screen side DB truck project he was considering turned out to be something quite different.

Leadfoot,

Thanks for your time and consideration in this matter. I might not have been clear when I said the "frame". The body of the car and frame are solid. I was referring to the canvass top frame. I have know the car for the past twenty years (+)and it has been in a garage. I'll try to get some photos and post them. Thanks for your response.

Karl, the Dodge Boys (& gals) out there can best asses the price but it does not sound like you are to far off. One thing I would recomend is that if this has been in the family a long time, and you know the provenance to a degree, I would place some value on this. Everyone who posts here can talk of cars that slipped away - my only point is, if you are off a few hundred bucks or whatever, you should seriously consider the car itself, and the family history in the decision. I helped talk a guy out of selling a '61 T-bird, 3rd generation in the family, to help with some bills, yeah, a few grand helps with those college costs, but once the car is gone, it can never be replaced.

Good luck!