Backwards "D" in Engine Vin number

Guest riv63gs

Guest riv63gs

Hello fellow Riv enthusiasts,

The vin numbers on my 63 don't match. No big deal, but the engine number has a backwards "D" as the fourth number. I have a hunch that the original engine was replaced under warranty and the replacement received this designation. Does anybody know for sure? Thanks in advance.

• 9 months later...
Guest riv63gs

Ever wish you never put something in writing?

After writing this, I discovered my alleged "D" is a zero. An ultimate DOH! moment.

I hope I'm not alone in making such an obvious mistake, so would anyone else like to share their own DOH! moment?

If nothing else, it'll make me feel better. Thank you, Gerry

Gerry,

4th Number in the engine number? All Riviera engine codes are two letter codes. T=401; W=425. Combined with the following sequencial letters for years. J=63, K=64, L=65, and M=66; they also go back to around 1957 in the same sequence. The W was a 4 bbl. 10.25:1 compression ratio. The T was a 4 bbl. 10.25:1 compression ratio. There were other 401 engines - two barrels, low compression, export, each with a different code, but not on Rivieras. a 1963 Riv with a 401 would be coded JT; a 1963 with a 425 would be a JW.

Here's a link from Buicks.net that shows where the engine code number can be found and the engine serial number is the same as the VIN.

http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/engine_ident_where.html

Where did you get the 4th number from, the VIN? The VIN tells year, and make/model but doesn't list an engine code. My 63 Riviera has a VIN of 7J1053639. The 7 indicates Riviera, the J is for 63; I don't know if there's any real significance to the rest of the numbers. If so, they could perhaps indicate assembly plant, etc.

Ed

Guest riv63gs

Hi Ed,

I was referring to the Engine Serial Number, not the Production Code Number. It's my understanding that the car's Vin Number and Engine Serial Number should match to be a numbers matching car.

These are my numbers:

Vin Number 7J1002704

Engine Serial Number 7J1011005

Production Code Number JTP95.

Looks to be the right type 401 w/4 bbl engine and the right year, but since the car's Vin and the Engine Serial Number did not match, I assumed the original engine had been replaced.

Gerry