color of wheels

Guest n1gzd

Guest n1gzd

Attached is a picture of one of the wheels on my 1950 Super. I have wheel covers that I think are correct. They mostly cover the wheel but a little less than an inch of the rim shows outside of the wheel cover.

Here is my question. What color is the wheel supposed to be. I was expecting that a little red should show outside of the wheel cover. However, my wheels appear to have several diffent paint schemes mixed together. The center part is blackish with three white stripes which you would not be able to see with my wheel covers. Were those stripes meant to go with the "skull" cap type of hub cap?

I was originally thinking of powder coating my wheels with an appropriate red color (so that you would see it showing around the edges.

Rebecca

post-49820-143137927821_thumb.jpg

Thats interesting.... Mostly the wheels should be either the color of your car or Dante Red. There are a few exceptions depending on the color of your car, but that is a good rule of theumb. If you let me know your color code, I can tell you for sure.

The stipes are correct and should be Silk White. They show up with the smaller hubcaps as opposed to the big "DogDish" type.

I like the red wheels for a dark color car, it really adds a nice accent to the car.

BTW is your ID you "N" number ? Just wondering ..

When I first bought my '57 Roadmaster in '92, she had red wheels that had been repainted black, just like yours. Red wheels were all the rage for Buicks for 25+ years, but as time wore on they fell out of fashion, and many were painted basic black.

Bill is right about how good the cars look with red wheels, be they "Dante Red", or the later "Tangerine" (Buick's fancy name for red). When mine were finally brought back to Tangerine, the effect was amazing and gorgeous. The Buick Master Body Parts Book lists Dante Red as the optional wheel color for <span style="font-style: italic">every</span> paint color available for 1950.

TG

435461-57BuickStonehenge2.jpg

Guest n1gzd

That settles it. I will have them powder coated the appropriate red. I mean the entire wheel. I don't need the stripes because I have the full size wheel covers.

Regarding my N-number. It is not my airplane N number (I do in fact have a small plane). It is my ham radio call sign.

Rebecca