Transmission problem??

Hi all..........After my brake failure caused me to total my Reatta, I bought a 1990 Delta 88 out of the paper cheap with 90K miles on it. It has the same drivetrain as the Reatta. Recently, if I am traveling around 60MPH and take my foot off the gas, as the car slows down, it seems as if there is a tugging sensation. It is subtle, but there is something definately different about it. I almost want to call it a shudder, but it seems as if it tugs, and a few seconds later I may notice it again. I plan to put a modulator on tomorrow, but I was hoping this forum might be able to tell me what the likely source of the problem. I have always gotten the answers and advice I've needed before from this forum, and thought to try this as I was driving home from work tonight. Although I no longer own a Reatta now that I am a member of the crash club, I was hoping I would still be able to get some info. Thanks in advance....Dan<P>PS- If anyone is intersted in a Reatta in the Philadelphia/ South Jersey area.......let me know.....I spotted a coupe that looks really clean on a local car lot

First thought is that the TCC may be failing to release properly(is supposed to release when foot is off the gas).<P>Two things could cause: sticking TCC (might be fixed with a tranny fluid and filter change) or a maladjusted TPS (if set too high, ECM may not know your foot is not on gas). I suspect the latter because once you drop under 50ish (45 on '90 Bonneville, 42 on 88 Reatta), 4th lockup disengages automatically. <P>More remote is a bad coilpack or plug wires but that usually shows up under load.

I had that problem on one of my Olds Cutlasses and it was the lock-up convertor and eventually the front pump blew out and it was time for a rebuild. I read once that you should be careful not to go over 2 tire sizes bigger on drive wheels or it will throw things off for shift points.<BR>ronvb rolleyes.gif" border="0

Thanks for the replies. I think the TPS sounds like it might be the problem, because, it seems as if the car does not slow down like it should when I take my foot off the gas. I can drive a half mile or so and it will not drop below 50mph unless I hit the brake.<P>Now, I assume TPS is throttle positioning sensor. If I am correct I would appreciate any advice on how to correct this. Or, do I need to take it to a shop....Thanks again......Dan

TPS position is something you can check with the engine off but since you do not have a Reatta you will need a scan tool. TPS should be under about .7v (.4v is ideal) when your foot is off the pedal and over 4v when at WOT.<P>Normally the ECM will "learn" the setting but if it is reading high (over 3-5% above minimum) then the TCC will remain locked.<P>If you have a tach it is easy to see the difference between "locked" and "unlocked" - when "locked" there will be very little difference in RPM between light and moderate throttle (not enough to downshift). When unlocked you the rpms will change by up to 500 as you move your foot.<P>Or the easy way is just to unplug the TCC and see if the sensation goes away. Does not seem to hurt anything - I drove a Fiero for many thousands of miles with a TCC that didn't.

Thanks again for the help. I feel like an idiot, but what is the TCC and where is it so I can pull the plug on it and see if it goes away. My friend drove the car a little while ago and described the problem as if the car was towing a trailer. Thanks again.......I do....and always have appreciated the help from this forum.......Dan

Hi, thanks for the input. I thought I would just post what the problem was in hopes if someone searching in the future may benefit. The problem with the tugging as I took my foot off the gas at speed turned out to be a vacuum leak. Found the vacuum leak after starting the car to check that the new modulator I installed was not leaking. Solver the tugging/jerking problem, but I thought and had hoped the modulator would solve the problem of the car slamming into reverse. It only doesn't slam into reverse if I go from drive quickly into reverse. It has been this way since I bought it.........Any ideas.........Dan

Hi Dan,<BR>When I saw this post earlier I thought maybe it was you and maybe you had bought another Reatta. I got your Reatta ( parts ) back to Minnesota and have sold almost all the parts from it as you had taken very nice care of the car so everything was in good shape. I still have the doors because I am going to put them on one of the repairables I have. I agree with Padgett, a good place to look would be the torque converter lock up. I completely rewired a '90 Buick Skylark a couple of years ago that had been under water. I then drove the car myself for a while to test it and even though I had completly changed all of the transmission fluid about a month later the solenoid for the torque converter lock up was sticking and acting just the way you describe. I removed the side pan on the transmission and replaced the solenoid myself. I sold the car to my neighbor and he is still driving the car with no problems.<BR>Jim

Hi Jim......good to hear from you..........I'm glad you were able to move all the parts from my Reatta. I'm glad you got the car because I knew you would be fair to people when parting the car out......If you remember......I tought someone had stole one of the center caps off the Reatta when it was siting parked at the service station. Turns out, one of the guys at the shop must have put it inside the station and they later returned it to me. It wasn't in as good as shape as it was in, for I think it bounced around the shop a little before they returned it to me. I still have it in my work truck, if you want it, post your email and I will contact you so I can ship it to you.............I did not yet get another Reatta, I still look, but 91's are hard to come by around here. I really wish that "Prior{" option was available before I crashed mine. I spent more than $400 in just the 2 weeks before I crashed it. I definately would have bought one of those units. When my wife catches me looking at a Reatta though, she tells me to find an apartment with it.....I'll save for a for one of those ne T-Birds. Hopefully I can find one reasonable in a few years. .....Good Luck.....glad you are doing well up there........Sorry the birds made your Vikings look so pathetic last sunday......but it sure was fun to watch down here..........Dan