'65 Riv's - realistic prices?

Hi all,

I saw these two '65 Riv's from another post:

web page

Are these realistic prices?

'65 Riv GS 80k $69,500

'65 Riv $32,500

'66 Riv GS $40,000

I know it says that they sold, however, we truely do not know for how much.

David

Nice Riv!

Seems to me that the $69K GM Obsolete and the $85K EBAY Riviera GS are the same car, right down to the "Deka" battery!

Reality and collector car prices are mutually exclusive terms! At least one bidder thinks that this Riviera is worth $30K + already. It will be interesting to see if the biddding stops or if it brings really big money. Now, if rusty 63's and 85 T Type prices would take off like that!! LOL!

Take Care,

Tim

Hey tim63riv,

I did not notice that at first, but you are correct.

It's at $35,000 now with 2 days left.

I wonder where it will end up?

David

I purchased the Verde Green '65 GS on e-bay from the original owner in the fall of '96, I restored the car and enjoyed it for 10 years, I sold it to GM Obsolete in the fall of '06, they took it to show quality in their shop. I can answer questions honestly and accurately with no skin in the game if anyone is interested in bidding drop me a line at rivimaniac@aol.com. I'd love to see her go to a good home, my daughter named her "Marylyn" during the restoration after the original owner as we became pen pals during the resto, she's a great car/Paul

Hello Paul,

That sure is a beautiful car. Thanks for volunteering. Unfortunately, it is well out of my price range.

However, you can help me out. If I would be so lucky to find a '65 Riv GS 2x4bbl car, what should I look out for? What were some of the issues with your car. What can you teach me so I can have an easier go of it?

Thanks,

David

I think if people are asking those kinds of prices, the car should have every available options on them. I asked questions about that Dark Green and got no response. I don't think it had power wing windows or rear window defroster. There were so many options available that make a car worth 60K or 80K should have them all if that's possible. If you want it bad enough to pay that kind of money, I guess it's worth it to you. I'd say that they are sure proud of it.

Guest BJM

James,

Every opinion is welcome here, thanks for your comments. The options a car has in terms of them being comfort/luxury options as you describe do add to the price and desirability but the real deal revolved, at least in 1965, about whether or not the Riviera has the GS option. This trumps all luxury options in 1965. Next, the level of restoration, care and attention to detail is what is driving some of these 65 Riviera GS's into the stratosphere. I have mentioned on other price inquiry based posts that the recent auction activity in Arizona primarily and the return of cars as investments is like a rising tide lifting all boats, including the 65 GS's, which are now being priced in that $35,000 to $65,000 range for nice ones.

The bottom line question is can you restore one for that price, and you could probably do a restoration on a 65 GS Riviera for $40,000 that would be a high point car.

Luckily, most 65 Riviera GS's are well equipped anyway, but don't necessarily include every option. This would add to the desirability more of a regular 63-65 Riviera, but theire prices aren't as high in most cases.

Dry and unmolested original in good condition is most important to me for a higher price. When you really inspect closely, too many of the 'restored' cars out there show less than quality work. A number of Rivguys like to source option parts and load up a lesser optioned car. Coast pricing (especially west) is a different world than the midwest. I also think there are a lot of nice looking (new paint, interior, ect) cars out there with rather tired/neglected engines/drivetrains-