Trunk release problem?

Jhellman

The trunk/lid release on my 90 Reatta has started unlocking/releasing/locking automatically about every 6 seconds! The remote control, the key release on the rear and the trunk release button in the glove box have no control over it.<P>I disconnected the wire going to solonoid lock to stop it.<P>Is there a trunk lock relay or some other relay that is stuck? If so where is the relay? <P>Any advice/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

Barney,<BR>I found the relay (there are 5 relays on the block) 3 of them are the same. I removed the one that controls the trunk release and replace it with one of the other relays. Did not stop the automatic lock/unlock problem! Don't think it was the relay!<P>On doing a search I found other posts that had similar problem. Some had problems after a rain!<P>It rained for the first time in 5 months here in west Texas (1 inch) today and then I had the problem!! Just a coincidence?<P>You think the problem is in the trunk key lock or in the glove box lock?<P>Any suggestions? Thanks.<BR> smile.gif" border="0

To test your theory, <BR>pull fuse #17, that goes to the button in the glove box.<BR>Then try fuse #2, that goes to the key lock.<P>The remote module is on fuse #3 so it should still work with either of the above disabled.<P>If the problem is still there with 2 & 17 removed, I would suspect the keyless entry module.

According to the schematic that is not possible. Your car is possessed and you should sign the title over to me immediately.<P>I will send you a copy of the circuit via email. If you remove fuse 2,3, and 17 and the solenoid still cycles, the only thing it can be is a stuck relay.

Barney,<BR>Pulled fuse #17 - problem still present.<BR>Pulled fuse #2 - problem still present.<BR>Pulled fuse #3 - problem still present.<P>Removed battery from remote - problem still present.<P>(Remote works door locks correctly).<P>Any suggestions/advice? Thanks.<P><BR> confused.gif" border="0

Barney (and everybody else),<BR>I agree with you, my 90 is possessed?<BR>Not ready to sign over the title -- yet!<P>I have fuses #17, #2, and #3 all removed and when I put the new relay in, the trunk lid solonoid/latch starts cycling!! (battery is out of the remote).<P>How is that possible with all of the fuses removed?<P>Suggestions/advice??<BR>Thanks.<P> shocked.gif" border="0

Guest llaramie

If i left my car out in the rain, the remote(RKE) sometimes didnt work. <BR>But i havent had the problem since the last time i reprogramed a new rke--I isolated the green jumper-plug contacts, located in the trunk, by inserting some plastic between these contacts within the green plug. (This is the green plug in the trunk you jump to reprogram the remote).<p>[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: llaramie ]

First we must assume you have a good relay.<P>Probe the relay socket, pin #5 should have 12v from Circuit breaker #23, that would be correct. <P>With the three fuses removed, you should have no power to pin #1, if you do, I would suggest that the keyless entry module is bad.<P>The module get 12v from fuse #7 to pin D13.<BR>It also gets 12v (or some voltage) via pin D7 from the BCM. <P>You could pull fuse #7 and see if the problem goes away and that should comfirm that something has gone haywire within the keyless entry module.<P>The Keyless entry module is located behind the drivers seat, directly under the roof panel that seperates the door glass and back glass. You must remove the third brake light cover, which will expose screws that hole the plastic panel in place. The coat hook and upper seat belt plastic cover must be removed.<P>When you get to the module, first try unplugging and replugging. If that doesn't work, replace. Here is a list of people with Reatta parts cars. You will need to contact them to determine if they have a spare module.<P>Sek3@aol.Com (90 rear only ..blue seats)<BR>lbtsales@penn.Com<BR>debbitc@massed.Net ('88 red/tan, '88 white/red, '89 burg/grey)<BR>apoolart@aol.Com ('89 red/grey)<BR>jfinn@computerpro.Com (several cars) '88 silver/grey sunroof<BR>abowen@stanleyworks.Com ('88 black/grey)<BR>ccrowe@tuthill.com ('89 silver/grey)<BR>Similex@aol.com ('90 black /tan interior)<BR>jrsettle@bellsouth.ne t (1989 coupe, burg int)<BR>jkrafty@bigfoot.com ('89 coupe)<BR>blkmagicarab@earthlink.net ('91 white coupe/tan interior) some front damage<BR>larsbammer@aol.com ('89 blue/blue) Cincinatti area<BR>------------ the following are wrecking yards with Reatta parts--------------------------<BR>* <A HREF="http://www.brandywineparts.com" TARGET=_blank>www.brandywineparts.com</A> (Ron Hall) in Virgina and MD<BR>* <A HREF="http://www.thebuickplace.com" TARGET=_blank>www.thebuickplace.com</A> (Phil Hertel) Phoenix AZ<P>Barney Eaton BCA technical advisor for Reattas and keeper of the Reatta database.

Every six seconds (stopwatch regular or approximate ?) sounds like a capacitive couple via a resistive short in the relay circuit (easier on the primary side but if continues when the relay is pulled then obviously on secondary side.)<P>First thing to do is to pull fuses one by one until it stops. Let us know which (and might possibly be more than one) let us know.<P>Might want to pull the lead from the solenoid and connect a 12v lamp or a DVM from it to ground - I *suspect* you will see it glow dimly or read a voltage.

confused.gif" border="0 <BR>Thanks for all the advice. <BR>I gave the trunk release/lock a dose of "scientific neglect" (48 hours) and plugged the old relay in and everything works fine!!<BR>It also stopped raining??<P>Interesting note: I was listening to the radio on my Walkman, AM station when I was checking everything out. When I started to insert the key into the trunk release/lock it would make static in the radio? Static would occur every time I touched the key to the trunk lock! Didn't do it on FM station?<P>I'm confused - I have a rope in my hand and I don't know if I lost my mule or found a rope? confused.gif" border="0 <BR>Thanks again. smile.gif" border="0