K-S Telegage liquid

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I am restoring the K-S Telegage gas sending unit and gas gage on my 29 Oakland, and am in need of the liquid that goes in the gage. Can anyone tell me where I can find some. The owners manuals says that you MUST use K-S Telegage liquid. I don't know if that is true today or not. Can someone help me? Thanks

You can buy it at any place that sells parts for 30's Fords.

If fact you can buy a complete kit fluid, metering rods and copper line from them. K-S Teleguages were used for quite a number of years in Fords in the mid thirties.

• 1 month later...
Guest sndtubes

Has anyone actually gotten their KS fluid gas gauge to work properly? Mine will register some, but usually falls as soon as I come to a stop. Leak in the line somewhere? I will install a new line soon (I have one) but I don't think that will change the fact it seems to read backwards. It seems to read higher when the tank is near empty than when full. Also, I've had bad luck with the fluid they sell at Bob's Automobilia. The stuff won't stay red. It turns clear after a very short time. I'm not sure where he gets the stuff, so I'm not sure what the other suppliers are selling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone else should verify this because I cannot find my reference, but I understand it is isopropyl alcohol. I suspect the dye might be cochineal, a strong red cooking dye.

Ivan Saxton </div></div>

There has been discussion on this in the past. I don't recall the long chemical name for the fluid, but it is a very dense liquid. Much denser than water or any alcohol.

As I recall, you can buy the stuff (if you can find the name of it) from chemical supply houses but the easiest way to get the small quantity you need is from an antique auto supply company.

Edit:

Did the search and the earlier thread I was thinking of is located at:

http://forums.aaca.org/showflat.php?Cat=...=true#Post98761

You can buy it from almost any 30's Ford supplier. If you level goes down it is usually a leak in the linee but it can also be aleak in the U pipe in the tank. Either are easy fixes.

• 3 years later...

I have found that the gage fluid that is sold by some antique Ford dealers comes in a black wrapper. There is a reason for that; it turns clear when exposed to light.

Auburns use the same K S telegage. I was lucky to find a fairly sizeable quantity of the red gage fluid that is not corrosive and does not turn clear, it has a SG of .826

If you need some PM me

A hydrostatic gas gauge usually works well when it is set up correctly. The red fluid is four (4) times denser than gasoline, hence adding four inches of gas in the tank will translate to one inch movement on the tube (gas gauge). If you want to test the system with water in a seperate tank keep in mind that water's density will be 1:1 and not 4:1, hence adding water will shoot the red fluid out the top of the tube at a rate four times that of gas.