65 gs posi rear

BellHorsepower

Guest imported_65gs76limited

OUCH!!! Going price for a 3:42 drum to drum set up is about 500.00.I would waite until i found one local or not to far away that you could pick up yourself. Tom

Easier said than done Tom...I've been looking for a year.I've found two so far ...The first was a chick in italy that had a posi center section for a 9 3/8 that she bought from a guy at V8 buick.com and it didn't fit her car.And now this one in New Jersey. I should just go with another type of rear and fabricate the mounts.

Are the "carrier sizes" you're talking about the actual ring gear diameters or the thickness of the mounting flange on the carrier that the ring gear bolts to? In some cases, the ring gear diameters can vary a little (as in the 3rd Gen Camaro starting with 7.50" ring gears and ending up using 7 5/8" ring gears in the later years), but I highly suspect in the case of Buicks that there is only one ring gear diameter per se. Similar to some of the early Chevy "10-bolt" axles having and 8.20" ring gear diameter and the later ones being 8.50" ring gear diameter.

Now, there is a total "build thickness" of the ring gear and the mounting flange on the differential carrier which must be maintained due to the basic architecture of the situation AND how in relates to the diameter of the pinion gear. This means that different axle ratio "ranges" will use a common mounting flange thickness on the differential carrier housing. This would mean that, for example, gear ratios of 2.7 to 3.2 would use one thickness and 3.4 to 3.73 would use another, with 3.91 to 4.33 using a different one than the others. I might have gotten those gear ratio ranges a little different than in actual practice, but you can see what I'm talking about in that not all differential carriers (limited slip or open) will accept and work with all gear ratios. In the aftermarket, with the deeper gears, they usually supply a spacer between the ring gear and the differential carrier's mounting flange to keep the build thickness (I mentioned above) the same as it was for the original gear ratio.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Hi Bell,

You dont need the entire rear axle to do the swap. The center section drops out of the axle housing. I shipped a center section from Chicago to Washington state via FedEx for just over $100. An added benefit of this type of carrier is you can bolt it into your housing and you dont need to set it up. It is already setup up as a carrier "unit". Good luck,

Tom Mooney ROA #56