R.I.P. 1988 White Reatta Coupe

ReattaTS

Tonight at 10:00pm EST, I was traveling on a local roadway at approx. 60 miles per hour. Approaching a bar and grill I noticed as usual on a Friday night, it was packed. Coming toward me was a 1988 Chevrolet S-10 pickup. The driveway for the bar was on my right side and the truck put its turn signal on and cranked hard without stopping across my lane, toward the entry. At the last second I turned hard to the left to avoid the truck and perhaps miss the back end of it. It was two late, even with my foot hard on the break, I slammed into its right-rear side. As I slid to a stop in the middle of the road, partly in the left lane, I saw their tire flying down the road in front of me. I jumped out of the car and was in complete aftershock. I saw the truck gliding into the grill's parking lot and into a parking spot with sparks flying out of the axel dragging on the ground. As they opened their door I realized they were not hurt. Now, Im only 17 here, so don't think less of me for running to the side of the road and bawling my eyes out. I have been in a accident before and had speeding tickets to my name, the thought of losing my licence or having insurance raise higher killed me. I was shaking and couldn't grasp what was going on anymore. A police officer showed up within one minute and checked for injuries and called for backup. Before I knew it, two ambulences, a fire truck, tow trucks, and about 4 police cars showed up. Road flares surrounding my car; I sat in the driver's seat for one of the last times Im sure. Still shaken up I observed all the damage done to my car: Front Right Totalled, Hood crumpled. Engine shut off I think during accident, and the CRT and my cd changer continued to play after all was done. The frame is almost certainly twisted though but no windows broke at all. I layed back and tried to relax but I was just too worked up on adrenaline. After a while the tow truck needed me to get out and I collected all my personal affects in the car and watched with teary eyes as it rolled away. It turns out the other driver had had 3 D.U.I's on her record and this was going to be the 4th. The passanger was also drunk. The driver was put in the back of the cop car; under arrest. Im glad no one got hurt though. The car on the other hand is most certainly totalled and Im looking at this point to sell it to the higest bidder, hopefully before winter. The engine has 82,000 miles on it and ran very good. All windows are intact, along with motors for windows and locks etc. The trunk actuator is bad however. The right plastic fender is broken completely. I don't really wish to part the car out at this time, just to make that clear. This has been the worst experience Ive had now. I have almost certainly lost my licence due to insurance rising and me being put in the "High-Risk" driving category. I can't afford another car at this point and basically am a teenager without a car to drive.(Which(for all you parents)is BAD.) Well, Ive loved being a participating member of this forum, but alas, I guess I won't have much to ask or talk about anymore. Enjoy life everyone...who knows when it could just end. I was seriously taught this tonight in less than a second and I won't forget this. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Not the first time we have heard of a bad accident with a Reatta where the driver walked away. Good thing the other driver was arrested - may not have any effect on your license or insurance (if it does, I would talk to an attorney).<P>Know that things seem bad right now and you are questioning a lot of things. The good news is that it is part of being human. Every normal person goes through that.<P>Thing to do is to look forward not back.<P>BTW you didn't mention <I>where</I> the car is...<p>[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: padgett ]

Sorry bout that everyone. The car is currently sitting in my drive way in Grand Haven, Michigan. Grand Haven is located on the west side of the state of Michigan on the lake, directly west infact of Grand Rapids. The interior by the way is all burghandy leather and carpeting. All is still intact and in pretty good condition considering the year.

I'm very sorry for your loss. The great news is, no one was hurt! Don't stop dropping by this site. You might get an insurance settlement to buy another car. Reattas are for sale here all the time. And as already stated, the accident was not your fault and as such maybe everything will be OK. I know you hate to lose your Reatta. I don't think of mine as just transportation, I think of it as a loyal and faithful companion. All of the cars I have owned over the years have held a special place in my heart, but the Reatta is one of my favorites. Lets us know the outcome. Howard<p>[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: Howard ]

First just be happy your not hurt. I have been advised it is a good idea to take a ride in an ambilance or at least see a doctor after an accident. Sometimes you might not notice health problems until later after the accident and this helps protect your rights to a medical claim. Second be glad it's clearly not your fault. Your due some damages from the other persons insurance. Third- at least the person who caused the accident is also involved in the colision. I don't know about your state but I knew someone here that wrecked a nice car and damaged a parked car tring to avoid a colision with someone that cut him off. When the police came they let the driver go that caused everything because his vehicle did not make contact with anything. They told my friend he would have been better off hitting the person.<P>Cheer up you can allways buy my Reatta.<P>Tom

Glad to hear that you are fine. I can see no reason at all why your insurance rates should go up or change in any way. You are not at fault. Your driver's license should be safe. Talk to your insurance agent, he may have good news for you. If he doesn't call a lawyer.<P>If you can give an impact statement at the drunk bastard's trial and don't hold anything back!<P>Lots of Reattas out there and this is the best time of year to purchase one, at the other insurance company's expense.<P>Good luck, Robert

Sorry about your accident. Noticed a silver 88 Reatta on Ebay in MA that may be able to be bought for less than $2K. You could replace its gray interior with your burgundy and have a fine combination. You might want to consider trading engine drive-trains, too, since it has over 50K more miles than yours. Tom, the Reattaman

Hey, I'm really sorry about your loss. It's ashame that your driving expierence has to be ended by the hands of a couple of worthless drunken fools. I hope things turn around for you soon and your able to get another car"REATTA I HOPE".<P>Good luck to ya,<BR>Jason A. Grumpp.