RX-7 Sunroof available

Edselguy

I purchased my Reatta with a non-working sunroof. I removed the headliner panel then the sunroof. Both cables were rusted tight inside the tubes. I removed the cable/tubes from both sides and drilled a few holes in the tubes to force WD-40 in. I worked the cables loose with much pushing and pulling. However, the rust was too severe and portions of the cables were rusted away. I went to my local “Pick and Pull” type junkyard and got a sunroof from a Mazda RX-7 for $65. Before removing the sunroof I tested the cables by removing the plug in the headliner, inserting a T-30 torx tool and turned the motor by hand until the roof opened all the way. I have read on this board that the dome-light mounting is different on the Reatta so I may have to change just the cables. This weekends project. I do plan to cut a hole in the headliner board and put the RX-7 headliner plug in it, in case.<P>The reason for this post is that there are two other RX-7’s with sunroofs that I have opened and closed with the T-30 torx still in the junkyard. I am willing to pull, purchase and ship for my cost (that would be $65 plus tax and shipping). Second thought is that the cables alone will ship for much less money, but the cost for the entire sunroof will probably be charged at the junkyard. Does anyone have an interest? Reply here or Email me at: jmahlberg@aol.com I live near Cincinnati, OH.<P>PS: the reason I went to the junkyard was to find a “core” master-cylinder and booster from a Riv’ for my impending conversion. <P>John Mahlberg<BR>-’90 White coupe<BR>-’58 Edsel Pacer

John.. keep us posted on your findings.<BR>While Webasto says the two are alike, the Mazda parts explosion shows the motor at the rear of the sunroof and the Reatta is at the front.<P>I talked to Webasto at the SEMA show last week and they were about as helpful as the people at the licence branch. I did get a name in Michigan but the person had transfered to another department and the lady was going to tell him I called. So far no returned phone call.

When I emailed Webasco on this very issue, the sales rep covering Illinois declined to answer any questions on the sunroof and told me to contact a GM dealer! Got to love good old fashioned customer service!!!

Ronvb,<BR> I believe you are correct. I have read previous posts, assumed they are true, and left the Mazda exterior panel in the junkyard. All the other parts come out as an assembly from inside the car. The difference between the Mazda and Reatta interior assembly, according to an earlier post, is the dome light mounting. <P>Changing out the interior assembly as a unit is a much easier task than installing replacement cable/tube assemblies. I will post how the dome light mount is modified or if I end up changing the cable/tube assemblies.

I have recently done the repair - changing the cables/tubes. The motor for the sunroof is located in exactly the same location as the Mazda's. Everything but the dome light location is the same. The relays and wiring harness is identical. Unless there is a severe problem with the Reatta wiring harness, it can be reused. The outer skin does have a different curvature, but has the same outline and could still be used if necessary.<BR>John has hit on the key problem with the sunroofs - rusty cables. When they lock up, its throw away. A unit replacement sidesteps the alignment problem when installing new cables which can be tedious.Drop in a replacement unit and replace the skin with the Reatta skin and it should be a perfect fit. <BR>Good Luck

You guys are amazing. It's fantastic being able to get this kind of information sharing for free! I have a contert now but am looking for a clean coupe that will be getting the Mazda top conversion. smile.gif" border="0

If anyone changes out their sunroof for the Mazda one, I would be open to receiving the old unit for demonstration purposes. <P>This volunteer job pays nothing, so whatever I do (including returning long distance phone calls from people wanting technical advice) comes out of my pocket. I would be willing to pay the shipping if you have a bad unit that needs a home.

I changed out my sunroof today. It took about 3 hours. The Mazda unit has no dome light mount so I drilled out the 4 rivets on the Reatta unit, drilled four matching holes on the Mazda unit in installed the dome light bracket along with the wires attached to it. The Mazda unit has 4 rear mounts while the Reatta has only two. I chose to cut off the ends of the two extra mounts before I installed it. I don't know if this is necessary or not. It was not a very difficult project and I do have a working sunroof now. <BR>I think I may have Barney covered for a spare unit.<P>john