self diagnostic codes

Hi guys-, anyone know how to run self diagnostic. I have an 89 with touchscreen, put in a k&n air filter , took out factory box, re-installed the maf meter in line in rubber throttle hose, now get service engine soon warning. Says engine control system check . How can I self diagnose? thanks tc

The first step is simple.<BR>With the ignition ON<BR>Push OFF and WARM pads on the CRT simultaneously and hold for the BEEP<P>Now you need a service manual.<P>To get out push LEVEL until it exits or turn off the ignition

The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor and is mounted on the throttle body. <P>The sensor in the air cleaner box measures inlet air temperature. This is the MAT sensor, not MAF.<P>I believe the MAT is receiving the wrong signal measuring air flow temperature instead of it intended purpose of measuing still air temperature.<P>Your Reatta is problemmatic enough without messing around with it. Put the air cleaner back the way it was or place the MAT in the air box where it belongs.<P>MAT error will set code E 23. frown.gif" border="0

Have installed K&N cone filters on 89 SHO and 96 Riviera. Both required, like you, taking out factory box, re-installed the MAT in line in rubber throttle hose. Also built cold air induction systems. Have flat panel K&N in Reatta without problem.<P>Think you have unrelated problem or not firmly reconnected electrical connection.<P><BR>You haven't mentioned the codes you have set. GO to the climate control screeen and at the same time press the Off and temperature up controls at the same time.<P>Read, record and report codes...Robert<p>[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Drive it like I stole it. ]