convertable glass

After checking my 91 convertible top I discovered the top is separating from the glass. I know the glass and the top are bonded together at factory. Is there any way to rebond the glass and the top without replacing the complete top?<BR>Thanks in advance .....

Years ago when I bought my convertible, the original vinyl top had already started to separate from the glass. I went to a hardware store and bought a heavy-duty glue and simply glued the vinyl back to the window and it stayed for three years before I installed the new cloth top. I don't remember what kind of glue it was, but the hardware store people can help you find the right kind.

3-M makes a new epoxy-based double-sided industrial tape that works well. It's white, goes in easily and cures in about 48 hours. I used it on my '90 convertible, and the bond seems as strong as new from the factory, despite a couple dozen trips through the carwash. (Also worked for Reatta center caps on chrome Cadillac wheels; many bumps, ruts, etc., and haven't lost one yet.)<P>Jerry Sellers

I had the same problem with my 90 reatta convertible. I went to a local convertible top shop here in Minneapolis and they they re-set and glued it for $65.00. It has held perfecly ever since, can't tell it was fixed. I know a couple other shops I checked were only interested in selling me a new top, which I didn't need. You just have to find a place that is interested in helping you - not selling you.

You have some pretty good responses, so this may be unnecessary. I got the same resonse everywhere when I had a similar problem.....get a new top, the window cannot be re bonded.<BR>In the end I had a plastic window installed. Lost the rear defrost, but my 90 convertible has never seen a cold day anyway in its 30000 miles. <BR>Very reliable rainproof solution.