Headlights

bernardi

My tired, old eyes need all the help they can get. My 55 400 has sealed beams which are pretty good, but not good enough. So far I haven't found any HiD lamps that will replace them. Now I'm looking at Hella 7" replacements. Question - do the Packard (and other 50s era cars) with two headlight systems use 7" lamps? A direct swap would be great, even if it runs considerably more than a new sealed beam.

I have run Hellas and Marchalls in a couple of prewar cars that were converted to sealed beams when I got them and I just put in 6V halogen bulbs. If you are really going to drive at all at night, this is surely the way to go. I am going to take my 41 on some trips this summer and I will switch it to Hella or Bosch - the lenses and light are better than the halogen sealed beams in my opinion. I also put 6V blubs in the original reflectors and used original lenses in my 37 12 and have great light from them, but realize that isn't an option on the 50s cars. You may need a headlight relay if you put in big bulbs and don't have heavy wiring. I would think that with 12V halogen bulbs in some Hella conversions, you should have excellent light. Many Packards delivered to Europe were converted to Bosch or Marchall lamps, even in the 30s. We were not known for our good headlights in Europe - they liked our spotlights and our heaters, but not those headlights! Dave

I have Bosch 7" H-4 conversions in my 1947. They fit perfectly. I bought 6 volt halogen bulbs from J.C. Whitney which were the least expensive. I have also installed a set of Trippe lights and plan to put in halogen #1133 bulbs in these units in place of the original bulbs. I have wired the lights through relays.