just another hard brake Q

My 88' has had hard brakes for awhile. I ran the aldl and came up with a 43, and a 78(lr and rr wheel speed sensors). I changed both of the rear wheel speed sensors and ran the aldl again only to come up with no codes, but be left with the hard brakes. The anti-lock brakes still work and i have recently replaced the accumulator. What do i try next?

Guest Brolliar

Please describe what you mean by hard brakes.<BR>What happens when you apply the brakes?<BR>Does your red brake light come on while driving or braking? When you first turn the key on in the morning how long does it take for the red brake light to go out? While the red light is on the pump is building up the pressure in the accumulator. The pressure sensor, if it is working properly, turns the pump off after the accumulator is at the proper pressure. If the red light goes off too soon the pressure sensor could be bad and not building up the proper pressure in the accumulator even if it is new. Have you run the brake tests that are at <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html?" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html?</A> They provide useful information about your brake system.<P>[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Dick Brolliar ]<p>[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Dick Brolliar ]

Recently my wife complained of "hard brakes" in the Bonneville. Checked and while all of the braking was there, it did take a very firm push - most noticable when dropping the last few mph before stop.<P>Before doing something expensive, I replaced the front pads (do most of the braking) with the "second line up" (U$27) Raybestos from MM&J. Code FE. Normal pedal was restored.<P>Check the cheap stuff first.