Buicks in the movie 'Used Cars'

SledZeppelin

This is a classic Robert Zemeckis comedy with Kurt Russell as the flim-flamming used car salesman trying to jam national TV broadcasts and run for state senate.

A classic shpeal Kurt throws out to bag a sale is on his car: Buick Centurion Convertible. It's a rapid-fire snow job that talks about the gas savings among other things. A real hoot!

There's a chance I actually own this car as it's the same color and when I got it it had a big dent in the driver's door just like the one made by the sucker's head that Kurt lures onto the lot with a bill on a fishing line. There are also some Riviera's and such in the film, it has a huge scene of cars lining up to make a full mile bumper-to-bumper.

Great stuff!

Yeah that movie is a favorite of mine too. Hopefully your car does not have that special "yellow primer". I once had a Centurion convert, gas savings--I think not. I got 8-10 in the winter. Wonder if your spedo was rolled back remember the begining... Also was the rear bumper held on by chewing gum on the driver's side?? I think I'll rent that one again. Lots of laughs.

Strange you mention that: while it's not yellow primer my car does have an original yellow coat underneath the brownish orange it has now (perfect for Texas football games and a HUGE rack of horns on the grille). Speedometer is in fact frozen, maybe Kurt got to it after all, plus the back bumper's a little misshapen. I know it was a common part on the full-size GM's that year, but I'd have to think it would be an expensive one because the lights are in the bumper. What a drag . . .

"But Toby likes it, don't ya Toby?!" "WOOF!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> plus the back bumper's a little misshapen. I know it was a common part on the full-size GM's that year, but I'd have to think it would be an expensive one because the lights are in the bumper. </div></div>

Actually, that rear bumper was used strictly on the '73 LeSabre and Centurion cars -- not on any other GM cars.

Ya sure thats not taxi yellow?????? Check the drivers rear corner of that bumper if it has a big time scuff from hitting the pavement, I'd say ya got yourself a genuine movie car.

Mine was a 72 which had a misshaped bumper too until some idiot hit the back of the car at a stop light. He actually straightened the damn thing out. That car was a tank.

Guest 70 Electra

I've always enjoyed this movie, but it is even better now with the DVD version: check out the special features, which include director's narration. It tells a lot of interesting details and behind-the-scenes humor.

And how about all the (now) valuable cars that were in the giant "convoy" of junkers? There's a few there I'd like to have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always enjoyed this movie, but it is even better now with the DVD version: check out the special features, which include director's narration. It tells a lot of interesting details and behind-the-scenes humor.

And how about all the (now) valuable cars that were in the giant "convoy" of junkers? There's a few there I'd like to have. </div></div>

I watched it on TV over Christmas with my folks, and come to find I have the VHS version at home, but it doesn't have the DVD stuff that Greg is telling about. at least I don't think it does. That convoy of junkers is pretty cool!

yeah, that movie's full of gems.

Rudy asks if the bodywork guy really turned the firehose on the nuns protesting their sexy commercial, body guy replies with "Oh yeah! Knocked those motherf---ers right on their a-s, too!"

"In my day, when you bought a politician the son of a b---h stayed bought!"

• 2 months later...