Lincoln history of past ownership of 1940

Guest 40-41 connies

Guest 40-41 connies

Please give me the information on the process of finding out the history of ownership on my 40 Lincoln. Would like to have this information in my file.

Thanks,

Pete

Contact the Henry Ford Museum up in Dearborn, Michigan. They have all the original build sheets for pre war Lincolns. The build sheet may not give you who the original owner was, but it will give you the original colors of your can, what options it had, and in some cases what dealer it was shipped to.

Contact Dave Cole- the editor of THE WAY OF THE ZEPHYR- who has been following ownership of the 40 Continentals for over 35 years as their historian. Send him you body number and chassis number. Bet he know its history as much as anyone. Dave's address is in the directory.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bruce Nussman

I have a 41 Continental and live in Florida. Years ago I wanted the same information and phoned the Vechile Motor Division at our State Capital. With giving them my title number they were able to reseaech and furnish previous owners names and address. My Continental had been in storage for 25 years and the owner had died. The previous owner to him was very helpful. Hope this will work for you.

Good Luck!

some states wont give you that information because of privacy laws. if you went to the central registration office in person you might be able to find an individual who is also a car nut to help you. thats what i did. he gave me the information but told me if i told anybody where i got it he would have to kill me. david

Guest 40-41 connies

Thank all of you for the help. I contacted Dave Cole and he gave me the information on the phone. Then later on that week, I received a mailing from Dave with copies of letters and information on past owners of my 1940. Car had been in Texas, then Tenn., on to Penn., to New York and now back to Texas. The car has been in more states than I have been in.

Pete

That is very cool...we just bought a 1939 Zephyr convertible sedan and wondered if there is a way to trace it's history...we've been told that it was in storage in Texas for about 20 years and the owner passed away so there's little history available.

• 3 months later...

I should contact him to see if he knows the where abouts of the '40 Continental my Father restored in the 80's and sold in '91.

It was sold to a fellow on the east coast.

See pic. (note, this pic was taken when it still had the ill fitting top on it.)

What a sweet highway car this was!

post-52228-143137937487_thumb.jpg