Trying to identify two Pierces

Greg_bigdaddy

A friend of mine just acquired two Pierces on is a 1930 boattail VIN # 202770, the other is a 1934 Limousine VIN # 3530039, Engine # 400103, and Body # 344L34. Any information as to body builder, production stats, etc would be greatly appreciated. I'll try an get a couple of photos to post in the next day or so.

Thanks!

Hi- the number 202770 is an engine number, and corresponds to a 1930 Pierce Model B. There were no production "boattails", so this is a custom body of some kind on a Model B chassis. The Model B chassis was either 134" or 139" wheelbase. On the 1934, The "L" in the body number stands for enclosed drive limousine, thus the driver compartment is enclosed and has a divider window behind the seat. The "34" after the L indicates that this is the 34th body of that style built in 1934. The engine number 400103 indicates a 12 cylinder car. The engine numer 400103 indicates a fairly low number car for the 1934 year, and is consistent with the other numbers, indicating that this car is probably carrying original engine in chassis. Production was 6795 in 1930, and had decreased to 1740 by 1934. The 1934 is an exceptionally nice car to drive, with power mechanical brakes, smooth ride, and a wonderful 12 cylinder engine. In 1936, Pierce changed model drastically, in an effort to keep in business. I recently drove a 1936 club sedan, 8 cylinder, unrestored and in a barn for 50 years; it drove as well as any Classic car I have ever been in, with power, smooth shifting, smooth riding, vacuum brakes, overdrive, and this was a car that was unrestored.