1969 High Capacity air cleaner...

1969RivieraGS

Buick did not have a "High Volume" or High Capacity" air cleaner for the 69 Riv. The standard air cleaner with black lid was used on the GS. You may be referring to the "High Volume" air cleaner that was used on the Skylark GS 400. But that air cleaner was for the 400 CID engine. If you are looking for something with high capacity, you will have to get something from after market like Summit Racing.

I'm not specifically sure about Buicks, but I observed that when a "High Capacity" air cleaner was an option, it was the same housing with an air cleaner element that had the foam layer (removeable) around a normal AC-Delco paper filter element. Not "high capacity" as in flow capacity as is normally the case in more recent times, but "high capacity" for dirt entrapment in dusty environments.

The foam layer was removeable and cleanable with solvent and then putting some light engine oil back on it to assist in the "dirt catching" before it got to the paper element underneath.

At least that's the way it was for Chevies back then, but I also suspect that was the GM-Corporate orientation for other GM carline vehicles too. Even with the higher vehicle volumes back then, such a "High Capacity Air Cleaner" would have been a low-volume option so it would not have been financially justifiable to tool-up for a different air cleaner housing for that option, using a different filter element instead.

I suspect that if the air cleaner element decal is still on the housing, it would list the AC-Delco part number for the replacement element. Similarly, I suspect that if you can find an older AC-Delco air filter catalog (from back when the car was newer and replacement parts would still be "as produced" rather than "will fit"), the "High Capacity" filter might also reference "foam wrapped" with the part number for a paper element with the foam wrapper applied or the foam item will be listed as a separate item that can be added to the normal paper element to make the "High Capacity" filter.

If you have a 1969 Buick Chassis Service Manual, the air filter element part numbers would be listed under the "24,000 Mile Maintenance Recommendations" as they are in my '68 Buick Chassis Service Manual. Mine lists "A212CW" for "regular" and "A279C" as "heavy duty" for the 4bbl engines (350, 400, 430 V-8s).

The A212CW ("W", by observation, referring to the fact that a very light-weight oil was sprayed onto the paper element to seemingly enhance it's filtering capabilities) is the normal GM high performance open element air filter that was on the Corvettes with the open element air cleaner from the factory. Something like 12" diameter by 3" tall? The HD version (A279C) would probably have the same dimensions as the A212CW, but with the foam layer on it and the whole filter would have come in a plastic bag in the filter box. Although the paper element would be the same size as the A212CW, the A279C would have been stamped on it rather than A212CW as the final assembly was "A279C"

Hope this might help . . .

NTX5467

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buick did not have a "High Volume" or High Capacity" air cleaner for the 69 Riv. The standard air cleaner with black lid was used on the GS. </div></div>

Bob - I think all 'GS' cars came with a Chrome breather cover ?

In the '68 Parts book, there were 2 different air cleaners - heavy duty, and non-heavy duty. The 'snorkle' opening is the easiest way to tell them apart, the non-HD has a smaller fluted tapered opening, while the HD version has a much larger opening. Not sure about '69s, but maybe the larger opening air cleaner base is the 'high capacity' version ?

There are also two different air cleaner elements listed, HD Paper&Poly, non-HD Paper.

The Chrome air cleaner cover is common to both types.

Randy,

You are correct, the "Heavy Duty" is what I have. I need to know if this was the same on any other years. I need a new base as mine was damaged. I would like a nice one instead of having to fix mine. It has a larger body, and the snorkel is larger and oval. Do you have a part number by chance for this air cleaner?

Thanks,

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buick did not have a "High Volume" or High Capacity" air cleaner for the 69 Riv. The standard air cleaner with black lid was used on the GS. You may be referring to the "High Volume" air cleaner that was used on the Skylark GS 400. But that air cleaner was for the 400 CID engine. If you are looking for something with high capacity, you will have to get something from after market like Summit Racing. </div></div>

Yes, they did. I have it on my Riviera. I probably called it the wrong thing though. It is, indeed, the "Heavy Duty" air cleaner option.

Randy,

I stand corrected, I found some Buick literature for 69 that stated the chrome cover is standard on the GS and as a dealer installed option. The print was so small I almost needed a magnifying glass to read it. Yes there was a "Heavy Duty" air cleaner, I thought it was being compared to the type that was being used on the Skylark GS with the 2 foam induction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randy,

You are correct, the "Heavy Duty" is what I have. I need to know if this was the same on any other years. It has a larger body, and the snorkel is larger and oval. Do you have a part number by chance for this air cleaner?

Thanks,

Mike </div></div>

Mike -

I only have a '68 part number for the Heavy Duty unit, and it may be for the whole assembly.

It's called Air Cleaner and Silencer - GRP 3.402 # 6484313.

Maybe someone with a '69 Parts list can double check the number for you.