'65 GS Shock/Spring Suggestions?

geo53562

Guest Chucks70

Welcome to the board Geo!

Try this place for springs... http://www.coilsprings.com/ They custom make springs to original or custom specs. and came recommended by some members of the Riv. Owners Association. I had them make my springs for my 65 Riv. and the car sits nice.

On shocks, I used Monroe gas shocks. Sorry, I don't have specific numbers right now. But, these can be had at any auto parts store that carry Monroe.

For other parts, I have had good luck with these vendors:

Rock Auto (Inexpensive name brand parts, fast shipping)

Rare Parts (Great suspension parts)

Classic Buick (Great for everything)

CARS (Also, great for resto. parts)

By the way, check out the ROA if you haven't already done so. Great people always willing to help out. Well worth my $30 per year. Just a great resource.

Good luck,

Thanks for your suggestions, Chuck and Dick. I will definitely be talking to coilsprings.com. And yes, Chuck, my shiny new ROA membership card is just 3 months old. It looks like a GREAT organization for anyone interested in Rivieras of any age.

As for shocks, I know that this car was originally equipped with the H2 suspension package, so I'm guessing that the Monroe shocks may be just a little "soft" for my needs. I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever had their '65 Riv Gran Sport judged, and what might qualify as an "authentic" replacement for the original Heavy Duty Delco shocks that were supplied with this handling package? It will be some time before I'm ready to show this car, but I'd like to start with a good foundation for my restoration.

Geo.

• 2 years later...
Guest jchagop

Hey Geo,

How did it go with the shocks and springs? I need to replace mine, shes a 1964 Riviera ... any advice?

Jon

Geo,

I bought Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks from Rock Auto for my 65. These are not satisfactory to me, as the car drives pretty much like a 1960's motor boat. I know this is typical of the ride back then, but I want something a little more sporting. I'll be interested to see what you decide. I could only find the KYB, Monroe and Gabriel, and there seemed little difference between these shocks. Please let us know how you make out. Joe

Geo,

ROA judging is peer judging,no 400 point system here! BCA would be another matter, but I believe they have a "driven" class now that allows for some modifications. I have always had issues with point deductions for a car where the owner has modified a component or system that makes the car safer to drive!!

As far as springs go, I've used and recommended Eaton Detroit Spring for a number of years now. The have springs in stock height or are able to give you different ride heights and also spring rates.

As far as shock absorbers go, any of the modern gas charged shocks are a significant improvement over what the OE manufacturers installed in the 60's. I have seen KYB and even Bilsteins offered up on ebay from time to time. I have Monroe's in my 63 and they do a fine job. If you are concerned about correct shock for judging you could always paint you modern replacements the same color as the original Delcos! I've noticed that some of the judges are getting somewhat more "mature"; probably not as fun to wiggle under a 65 Riviera GS to check originality as it once was!! LOL!

Take Care,

Tim McCluskey;)

Geo and Joe,

One last thing in the handling department, rear track bar bushings! This beyond belief how those bushings being worn can affect the handling of an X frame car. The rear track bar locates the rear axle to the center line of the vehicle and I have seen them worn to the point where the rear axle will shift back and forth a full inch!! Buickrodder on ebay has these for around $40.00.

Thanks,

Tim

Performance Suspension Technology has a set of polygraphite track bar bushings in their online catalog for $17.00.

If you're wanting to get rid of what you referred to as that "soft 60's ride," you could help by replacing all the bushings with the polygraphite kind instead of the OE rubber ones.

Google Performance Suspension Technology for their website. The link to the actual page is way too long to copy and paste. Go to page 16.

Ed

Edited by RivNut
Added page # (see edit history)

I have not. The last time ('07) that I replaced anything, I was able to get a good deal on the OE stuff from a friend who was working at Advance Auto. I did it all in OE rubber. ( Advance has since switched lines and doesn't handle it any longer.) I wasn't interested in improving G forces duiring lateral acceleration, just getting things back to status quo. For my kind of driving, that's fine. According to the part numbers listed by Classic Buicks and PST, all track bar bushings are the same for '63- '70.

Ed

Guest jchagop

Im gonna replace my original '64 coilsprings, will use coilsprings.com, any reason I should keep my old springs, spacers, etc?

Guest musclecarfan65

in my car i fitted the monroe shocks w custom extra heavy duty springs from classicbuicks.com. here you can also order mew additional parts for springs/shocks like insulators etc.