1926 Franklin Model 11a

Tom Laferriere

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a 1926 Model 11a 2 passenger coupe. It has Landau bars and a small trunk that is hinged and lifts from the back.

I am trying to learn about this 2 passenger body style. Who built the body? Is this body style desirable? Rare? Unfortunately, I don't have a photo at this time, nor can I find one on the internet.

Thanks for any input.

Tom Laferriere

Most of the Series 11-A Coupes were built by Walker Body Co. in Amesbury, Massachusetts, but there are some by other coachmakers. There may be a Walker tag on the lower right cowel. If not, look under the floor mat on the left side between the hand brake lever and the seat frame; you may find stamped in to the wood sill: "W B" followed by the body number.

When you consider that Franklin's total production for 1926, including all body types, was 7,606 cars; it's probably fair to say that any Franklin is a rare car. Comparing that to the production figures for the more popular mass-produced makes of the period, it's amazing that such a high percentage of Franklins have survived. The latest edition of The H. H. Franklin Club's "Roster of Cars" lists about a dozen 1926 11-A Coupes. They sold new for $2,700 and at that time you could buy a Ford Model T Coupe for about $500.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How are the frame rails Tom? does it track straight? Someday I'll own a Franklin, My Father worked there and then moved on to Air-Cooled Motors when they stopped car production. It would be pretty cool to own one that my Dad (or my Grandfather at Brown and Lipe) may have had a hand in building.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...