Sign in to follow this  
Tom Laferriere

1926 Franklin Model 11a

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a 1926 Model 11a 2 passenger coupe. It has Landau bars and a small trunk that is hinged and lifts from the back.

I am trying to learn about this 2 passenger body style. Who built the body? Is this body style desirable? Rare? Unfortunately, I don't have a photo at this time, nor can I find one on the internet.

Thanks for any input.

Tom Laferriere

Most of the Series 11-A Coupes were built by Walker Body Co. in Amesbury, Massachusetts, but there are some by other coachmakers. There may be a Walker tag on the lower right cowel. If not, look under the floor mat on the left side between the hand brake lever and the seat frame; you may find stamped in to the wood sill: "W B" followed by the body number.

I believe this is referred to as a "Doctor's Coupe." They are not particularly rare, but then again rare is a relative term. Nice looking cars though.

When you consider that Franklin's total production for 1926, including all body types, was 7,606 cars; it's probably fair to say that any Franklin is a rare car. Comparing that to the production figures for the more popular mass-produced makes of the period, it's amazing that such a high percentage of Franklins have survived. The latest edition of The H. H. Franklin Club's "Roster of Cars" lists about a dozen 1926 11-A Coupes. They sold new for $2,700 and at that time you could buy a Ford Model T Coupe for about $500.

How rare? The Franklin Club Roster lists 12 Coupes out of about 95 11a's registered.

PFitz

Hi all, I have purchased this car and will be picking it up this week. I need to "wake it up", shake it down and get pictures and video. It will be in the next issue of Hemmings. If you have any interest, please contact me offline or at 401.651.2295

Thanks,

Tom Laferriere - RI

Yes, it does run well. I need to "wake it up" after a long storage and give it a shakedown cruise. Pictures soon.

Greetings Tom,

The negative post on the battery should be grounded to the transmission case.

Bring it to the Franklin Trek in two weeks. You probably won't bring it home, and you might even have a good time and want to keep it. grin.gif

How are the frame rails Tom? does it track straight? Someday I'll own a Franklin, My Father worked there and then moved on to Air-Cooled Motors when they stopped car production. It would be pretty cool to own one that my Dad (or my Grandfather at Brown and Lipe) may have had a hand in building.