starting problems

Most of the time when I am starting my car I hit the start switch, the engine turns over, I let it crank for app. 5 seconds and stop. I repeat the procedure and almost always on the 3rd sequence the car starts. There are times however that it will start immediately even after setting for long periods of time. I had suspected some sort of check valve in the fuel system was sticking, but it doesn't seem to follow any pattern. Has anyone experienced this problem and what was the solution? I want my car to start first time every time!

What year is your Reatta ? There was a service bulletin that came out in 1989 relating to the fuel filter. Have you tried turning the key on, waiting about ten seconds, and then cranking ?<P>The initial start sequence is handled mainly by the ignition module under the coilpack. In the service manual there is an eight page sequence ("Cranks but does not run") of tests you need to make to determine where and what the problem is since there are a number of components that can cause this problem.<P>Do you have any trouble codes set ?

No service codes. I have replaced the fuel filter which seem to help, but did not fix the problem. It is a 1989 year model.On the 3rd sequence I hear the fuel pump come on and then it starts. I am suspecting some timing module, but not sure where to look.

As Harry stated, I suspect the fuel pump relay may be bad or going bad.. I have an 89 that had this problem. The dealership told me the fuel pump was bad. I had remembered something on the forum about the relay and wanted to try that first. I replaced it, now the car starts first time every time. The relay panel is located on the firewall (center). The relay in question is on the far left (passenger side). Very easy to replace. I bought the replacement at a Chevy dealership. The part # is 25553347. I think I paid about $15.00 for the part. You can buy them at a auto parts store for less, but those don't have the slot this allows the relay to attach to the relay panel on the firewall. Hope this helps. Howard

Thanks for the input. I will try the relay. A dirty contact would certainly explain the inconsistant behavior. I will leave feedback if that resolves the problem.

• 1 month later...

hey this sounds like something I should pay attention to. My 89' does the sme thing. some days I can go out and turn the key an the car starts perfectly, other times I can turn the key and crank... I usually only crank it for about 5 sec. but one time I wanted to just see how long it would crank before it started. I think it was probebly about 20 sec or so. I know not a smart thing to do but I was just a little angry that day.also my car seems to idle low, and sometimes runs rough. like between 675 and 725 RPM is that normal?just wondering

I have recently had the same problem with my 90. The only catch is that it started acting up when the weather turned very cold. Below 30 degrees. Engine would crank and act like it wanted to start but would not kick off. Had a similar problem the year before with another 90 I own. Acted up in cold weather and wouldn't start. Had to have it towed to local service. They couldn't find anything wrong. They performed a tune up on it and the problem went away. They also changed the fuel filter. I just got my current 90 and when it started acting up with the first shot of cold weather, I assumed it must need a tune up too. Will also change the fuel filter as well. Good tip on the relay. Will try that as well. Thanks..