Hole in me firewall...trivia question, how good are you

Guest 1930

I am hoping that someone can tell me what this hole would have originally been made for, it is in the firewall of a 29/30 DA Dodge. All of these models have this hole but none of the cars I have seen or have pictures of have anything coming from this hole. It was made for a reason, there must have been something there, even the DA expert in Canada is at a loss.I am pointing at the hole with the dowel stick, it is just above the starter cable hole and down a little and over from the oil pressure line hole. Any guesses?

post-48869-143137920877_thumb.jpg

Think export.

A car built that was built for export (right hand drive) would have a very busy right side of the engine compartment with both the brake and clutch pedals, the master cylinder, the vacum tank for the fuel, the carburetor and all of it's sundry hook ups. The hole more than likely was for the relocation of some wire/cable or connection that just couldn't be made any other way, it is cheaper and easier to put all of the necessary holes (wether needed on every car or not) in at once, rather than have to come back and put in a few later. I have only seen one DA that was built for export, and unfortunatly the owner was not around as to where I could take a better look. I used the hole to run the wiring for the fog lights, perfect fit for two 16ga. wires with loom.

I received mail tonight from Glenn in Australia who is another DA expert and has owned these cars for years. He has looked into that extra hole and confirms it is there but again has no clue why. One for the mystery books I guess

Guest clare30

G'day fellow enthusiasts, the hole in question is used for the cowl vent drain on Australian built DA's. We have a six wheel Budd sedan and a T.J.Richards spec. roadster the sedan has the ventillation on the sides of the cowl the roadster on the top of the cowl which requires a drain. We have several cowls for the T.J.Richards DA's all have drains in the same location.

Any possability that you could send a pict. of that setup, VERY curious to see how they plumbed that,never seen a cowl vent on the top either, is that a DA that you are talking about, and just to make me sound REALLY stupid what is a 6 wheel Budd Sedan, i know Budd but 6 wheels?

Thanks so much for the picture, if you have the time compare the picture that I submitted here, look at the differences in the firwall, there are so many,it appears that when the cars were meant to be exported they had a hole different system of just how they were going to arrange the holes on the firewall. Hard for me to tell from picture that you sent but appears as if there was a raised portion on firwall that the brake reservoir sat on, your main electrical harness hole was cut out so much further down towards pass. side, I dont have any pict. of Ameraican version of this same bodystyle that you have given here to compare and see if maybe the holes on it would be in the same place as yours. To be honest I think it is still a mystery for me that might not ever have answered, clearly the more I look at it I can see that your firewall that you have shown to me is definately not the same that I have on my car. But again it was very interesting to see the picture that you have submitted, thanks again....Jason

Guest clare30

Whoops, thought I had the answer however after closer inspection the fire wall pressings are indeed different. It would appear the Australian built T.J.Richards body is different in the fire wall due to local manufacture. Regards Clare30