Window Shades

FMF

Does anyone know if window shades were a factory installed option on DB closed cars manufactured in the 1920's?

A recent DB newsletter showed a photo of a 1925 Coach on display at the Gilmore Museum. This car had side/rear window shades. This was confirmed after talking to someone from the Gilmore museum.

I'm not aware window shades were offered as a factory option by DB.

Can someone please enlighten me?

If they were an option, where can copies be obtained today?

Thanks and best Regards.

All DA has them, definately a factory thing, easy to make your own I would think, I have spare set for a four door sedan and I have the ones in my two door Victoria, let me know if you want detailed photos and measurements.Dont know what body you have, the two sets I have are very different in measurement....Jason Anderson

I understand the following outfit has a rather large choice of window shades (in a variety of colors) and will provide samples:

http://www.hamptoncoach.com/catalog.htm

I have a '25 2 door Coach. Rear side windows on this car are rather large. Hampton Coach does offer large size shades.

With regard to the DA, I assume the shades were on both the rear and rear side windows - correct?

Thanks for all the comments!

• 3 weeks later...

Additional Question for DWOLLAM, 1930 & DBBOB :

Do your window shades have a small grommet, or ring that the string on the tassel would slip thru or is a simple pull tab used?

Would appreciate hearing from you.

Here is that picture, think it is what you were looking for, might be a little fuzzy, assumiming that is the ring you meant. Let me know, can send others, all my shades are the same

post-48869-143137920599_thumb.jpg

OK, I looked at my shade (rear only) and the pull was missing. There was no hole to attach a tassel though. If memory serves me there was only a "tab" of fabric that you would pull on to raise and lower the shade..... I do remember lowering the shade and pulling the tab off. It's still in the car somewhere.

I have 3 original photos that show the rear window shade on the '24 DB coupe. All show what appears to be a rectangular pull tab (maybe 1 inch X 2 inches) in the center of the shade. No strings or tassels are visible. One of the photos is dated June, 1924. The photos are small and not close-ups, but I will e-mail a copy, if you wish.

--Bob

Very Interesting.

I believe my car was produced as a "standard" model vs. the "special".

That's why the original rear shade had no tassel or pull tab.

I've attached a picture of my interior. If you blow up the picture, you can just see the green window shade.

I ordered side rear window shades to include the tassel. I guess I really should have purchased a new rear shade with a tassel but I really have a problem discarding the original shade since it's in such great condition.

Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Thanks everyone for all the comments, photo's, etc.

post-34830-143137920607_thumb.jpg