Airplanes & Buicks & Caddys, Oh My!

TG57Roadmaster

NZ's Buicks in the 1930s were all sourced from Flint and most - all Special four door sedans - arrived as CKD packs. A few coupes were imported fully assembled along with odd examples of Roadmaster and Century which I presume would have been to special order - all with RHD. Buicks sold well here with approximately 200 or so being sold each year - 1935 to 1939. They had also sold well through the 1920s - figures I have show that there were 1205 new Buick registrations in 1925 which was 6.5% of the market, but it trickled back from there down to 3% in 1930. The list also shows 34 new for 1932 and 15 for 1933 but I know that no new Buicks were imported in thsoe years. The figures would be for slow selling 1930 or 1931 models. The later 1930s figures represented about 1.5%. Due to the onset of WW2 the 1939 models were the last to be imported. After WW2 currency rectrictions meant that very few Buicks were imported.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stephen48

This photo does not include a car but I noticed the enthusiastic comments regarding Harvards above so thought you might like to see this one owner example.

It was purchased by the RNZAF in 1942 and is still owned by them in flying order.

Photographed two days ago at RNZAF Airbase Ohakea.

post-76051-143138913605_thumb.jpg

Birmingham has a group calling themselves the confederate air force and one of their members takes regular flights over my neighborhood in a T-6. Love the sound and the thrill never lessens to run out in the yard and watch her fly by.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sargaralaxmi

happy.gif

I have a Buick Century 95 with about 85000 miles on it. It runs great. Havent had any repairs on it until recently I brought it in to two mechanics one is my friend to try to fix the odometer it stopped working but the speedometer works. Both tried simple repairs that didnt work. Then both said to open the dashboard up would not only be expensive but parts are hard to get. Also the air conditioning has a problem now same answer and I got a new tire for it and the tire guy said he couldnt give me the exact specs to replace the old one since they arent making tire sizes for itso he put one in that was more or less equivalent regarding radiuscircum.

Both guys tried to save me money by saying if I did a web search andor auto salvage lot for a used part bought it myself and brought it to them theyd work with itbut they didnt want to go through the trouble of searching themselves. The book value for this car is probably 500 so no point trading it in. Considering the car still runs great what strategies should I use for future repairs Find a mechanic that specializes in older cars maybe.