Airplanes & Buicks & Caddys, Oh My!

TG57Roadmaster

Greetings, transportation lovers,

46_connie_47_buick_48_fltwd_adj_558764.jpg

Larger

Do you have a fetching photo of old planes and cars? Or ships and cars? Trains and cars? Many in the hobby appreciate all modes of transport, kind of a cross-over aspect that's often overlooked. Let's lift off on a new thread, starting with this shot of a 1946 Lockheed Constellation, a '47 Roadmaster and '48 Fleetwood.

About 12 years ago, I was on the phone to my buddy Dave, who owns these cars but stores them here, and caught the last moments of a TV news piece saying that the MATS Connie would be laying over in Greenville, SC for a couple of days. I called the downtown airport the next morning, asking if I could bring a couple of old cars for a photo op. Given permission from the tower, my expatriate Finnish pilot (and car-loving) friend Leo drove the '48, and I the '47, to the shoot. To my amazement, they let us pull right up on the tarmac to the Connie so I could get the shot(s).

Even in a post 9/11 world this can still be done, if you ask real nice. So ladies and gentleman, start your engines, we're cleared for take-off!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

I forgot to mention that, as many are aware, the tailfin on the '48 Cadillac came about by a pre-Pearl Harbor visit by Harley Earl and some staffers to see the new (and top-secret) Lockheed P-38 Lightning. Its twin-boom engine cowls and rudders set the tone for GM's first postwar Caddy redesign. The Connie possesses similar design elements clearly seen in the Caddy's rear fender and, of course, the famous fins. When I told my dad (now deceased) about the shoot, he told me that the Constellation was the first plane he ever thought that <span style="font-weight: bold">looked</span> like it could fly; it's a beautiful bird, no doubt.

The '47 Roadmaster is a 75K mile original, unrestored example that looks as good today as it did then; you may have seen it at the many shows it regularly attends, in the HPOF class, natch! This is how "Mr. Henry"

(in homage to its owner) looked when we discovered it in 1989, after 25 years of peaceful slumber.

Tom Gibson

post-43799-143137919896_thumb.jpg

And just to whet your appetite, lying in repose across from Mr. Henry was "The '49", a 68K mile original Roadmaster, layed up since 1964, too. The '49's a work in progress, soon to debut at a car show near you

(if you live in the southeast). The story of how we acquired them (and more) will be told another day.

Follow <span style="font-weight: bold">every</span> lead, no matter how obscure it may seem at the time!

Tom Gibson

post-43799-143137919899_thumb.jpg

Tom, I'm glad I didn't miss this topic altogether. That's a terrific photo, and the Constellation is my favorite among the great post-war propliners. The MATS Connie has now gone to Korea, and it's unlikely we'll see this particular example gracing our skies again. But it's hard to think of any aircraft that compares to the Constellation for sheer elegance.

I have had a similar passion for cars and aircraft, and am a great fan of the first-generation jetliners. I own a '59 Buick, which was introduced to the public on September 19, 1958. The following month, First Lady Mamie Eisenhower christened the "Jet Clipper America", with which Pan American launched the world's first Boeing 707 passenger service. On October 26, 1958, Pan Am's "Jet Clipper America" departed New York's Idlewild Airport, bound for Paris.

As I've posted in the past on the Buick forum, I've always enjoyed thinking of my '59 Buick -- complete with the General Motors "Flying Wing" roofline, Triple Turbine transmission, and Delta Wing tailfins -- as a contemporary of the milestone Boeing 707. So, I've taken advantage of the photo opportunities afforded by the Museum of Flight's retired Boeing 707 Air Force One.

203BoeingI-med.jpg

203BoeingII-med.jpg

203BoeingV-med.jpg

I've pursued the idea somewhat further, inviting owners of a couple of other '59 model year cars to join me. Here's the Boeing, the Buick, a '59 Olds Super 88, and a '59 Dodge Coronet. The expected '59 Pontiac Bonneville was sidelined by a rear wheel cylinder problem. All the cars are unrestored originals.

435562-boeing26.jpg

post-30629-143137919902_thumb.jpg

Another view.

435567-boeing21.jpg

We're working hard to attract a large turnout of the 1959 Buicks at the 2007 Buick Club of America National Meet in the Seattle area this summer. We're planning a special group photograph of all the '59 Buicks against the backdrop of the Boeing 707, and are making contact with some professional photographers to record our gathering.

post-30629-143137919907_thumb.jpg

Brian,

I was beginning to think the thread was going to die a slow, painful Howard Hughes-style death. Kudos for coming to the rescue. When I worked for Anderson County a few years ago, one of my more joyous duties was to coordinate a couple of WW II layovers at the airport. The first was a B-17 and Heinkel He-111, the latter having been Generalissimo Franco's personal transport plane. Though built in 1947 for the Spanish Air Force and,

as the world's last airworthy He-111, had recently been painted for Luftwaffe service.

47_buick_he111adjx.jpg

Larger

To me, it's one of the most fleet (for a tail-gragger) of all twin-engine bombers of the entire war.

Tragically, a year later it crashed on approach to a mid-western airfield for a scheduled appearance,

killing the 2 volunteer pilots with a total loss of the plane. I treasure the pix I took of it.

he111_47rm_b17x.jpg

Larger

Here's Daves '47 71 between the two on the tarmac; its Seine Blue color changes a lot depending

on the light. I love your '59 Electra roofline shot and remember replying to threads on it when

I first jumped on the Forums...you have a rare large Jap tin car like it, right?

TG

Tom,

Thought I might throw in an offering from down under but have to apologise for the photo quality ( pre-dates digital and was taken from the other side of the airfield).

A few years ago the West Australian Buick Club were invited to attend an airshow down south so we made it a weekend run. We did a lap around the airfield and a friends wife shot this photo of my 1928 Sports Roadster in front of a P51 Mustang which had been flying in the airshow. The Mustang is a local plane and is still around, 10 minute joy flights for about $1500 last time I checked. My 28 Roadster isn't, it went off to the UK about 18 months, I hope it's keeping dry ( the new owner, also a BCA member assures me it is ).

Interesting thread, I'll see what else I can come up with.

post-31244-143137919909_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Biggarmike, find that pic of your <span style="font-style: italic">Zephyr</span> & the DC-3, and you'll get a reward!

40_ford_47_buick_b-17g_adj.jpg

Larger

This B-17G was a real crowd pleaser. We'd set up a sort of a USO for the flyers and the busloads of schoolkids who came out, and it was great fun...right down to coffee, cake donuts & Hershey bars. The last day they were there, they pulled the bomber up to face the hangar, just nosed in.

As night fell, it was the closest thing to Hollywood you can get; so cool it gave me the shivers!

The '40 ford, on the other hand, made me sweat; fresh from a gazillion dollar resto, the elderly owner trailered it the 30 miles to visit us. I was happy to have such a fine period piece for the afternoon, but when we went to unload it, it wouldn't budge. Three of us were pushing & pulling, sweating like field hands toiling at Tara.

"Yes, it was in neutral," the man said, sitting behind the wheel. "No, it wasn't in gear," he assured us. Just as I was about to yell, "Quittin' time!", he told us when his "people" put the car in the trailer, they'd set the parking brake, which he then released. It rolled out, as light as a baby buggy.

TG

post-43799-14313791992_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Been waiting a lot of years to shoot the '57 with period planes, and the chance finally happened just

two days ago! Some weeks ago, Dave B. informed me that a DC-7B in period Eastern livery was at the

Carolinas Aviation Museum (CAM, at the airport) for a quick turnaround to fly paying passengers to FL,

and back on a US Air flight. He got to see it arrive, then some hours later take off, when malfunctions

on Engine # 3 forced its immediate return.

N836B has been laid up at CAM awaiting a new engine, so I called them up and asked if I could

take some pics; their director replied with an enthusiastic yes! They'd pulled a lot of their aircraft

out of the hangar for the "Miracle on the Hudson" US Air A320-214, and on Monday the big day arrived.

An added bonus was having CAM's Piedmont DC-3 outside for a few hours with the Eastern DC-7B,

while they finished Flight 1549's final installation; its massive right wing...

pa_9_adjx.jpg

Larger, the day's overcast, diffused light was great for "shooting."

pa_9p_adjx.jpg

Larger, spent much of the 3+ hours with the Piedmont DC-3, a 1996 CAM acquisition.

pa_9d_crop_adjx.jpg

Larger

pa9x_crop1_adjx.jpg

Larger, a little P-shop magic and the forklift, cones and drip pads willl vanish.

pa_6a_cropx.jpg

Larger, it helped that one our AACA HNR members volunteers at CAM polishing the DC-3's

beautiful aluminum and painted skin; truly a sight to behold (Go Gloria!).

Continued...

Dropping Gloria's name helped get my foot in the...um, hangar door, so thanks! CAM's Director

Wally Coppinger was more than co-operative, even with his extremely busy day co-ordinating

Flight 1549's wing placement (think delicate ballet with wing and articulated forklift).

Just an amazing day, more fun than I ever imagined. A million thank yous!

pa9zc_cropx.jpg

Larger

pa_9l_adjx.jpg

Larger, the effort was greatly helped by CAM's 20ft+ warehouse

ladder used to get elevation for the pics.

Please visit CAM the next time you're in Charlotte (AutoFair is in April),

and call ahead to see if the DC-7B is available for interior tours.

You won't be disappointed!

TG

Guest Jim_Edwards
I forgot to mention that, as many are aware, the tailfin on the '48 Cadillac came about by a pre-Pearl Harbor visit by Harley Earl and some staffers to see the new (and top-secret) Lockheed P-38 Lightning. Its twin-boom engine cowls and rudders set the tone for GM's first postwar Caddy redesign. The Connie possesses similar design elements clearly seen in the Caddy's rear fender and, of course, the famous fins. When I told my dad (now deceased) about the shoot, he told me that the Constellation was the first plane he ever thought that looked like it could fly; it's a beautiful bird, no doubt.

The '47 Roadmaster is a 75K mile original, unrestored example that looks as good today as it did then; you may have seen it at the many shows it regularly attends, in the HPOF class, natch! This is how "Mr. Henry"

(in homage to its owner) looked when we discovered it in 1989, after 25 years of peaceful slumber.

Tom Gibson

Of all the stories floating around the most plausible one reflects that Harley Earl received government permission through a friend (possibly someone with GM's Allison Division which made the engines for the P-38) to take some of his best designers to Michigan's Selfridge Field (just outside of Detroit and still an Air National Guard base) to see a secret military aircraft. Designers Bill Mitchell and Frank Hershey were among the group. Though no one knew it then, this field trip was destined to become legendary in the history of automotive design.

It may be questionable of just how "secret" the P-38 would have been at that time given both the British and French had placed orders for it. The late 1930s time line commonly bandied about is also suspect given test flights were still being conducted in mid 1941 both at Lockheed's California plant and at what is now Wright-Patterson in Ohio prior to USAAC acceptance.

Frank Hershey was to assume design leadership of what came to be dubbed at GM as the P-38 design project. Hershey was to later go to Ford where he was responsible for the design of the 2 seat Thunderbird.

The Constellation was designed by the same basic design team that designed the P-38, though the design concept of the Constellation originated with Howard Hughes in the late 1930s and was first produced in 1943. Aptly explaining the multiple rudder tail on the Connie, as the aircraft came to be referred to among aviation circles. The last U.S. commercial flight of a Connie was in February 1968, when Eastern Airlines took them out of service. The last U.S. Military Connie flight was on June 11, 1982.

You are now returned to the Thread! :)

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest danceswithpumps

It may be questionable of just how "secret" the P-38 would have been at that time given both the British and French had placed orders for it. The late 1930s time line commonly bandied about is also suspect given test flights were still being conducted in mid 1941 both at Lockheed's California plant and at what is now Wright-Patterson in Ohio prior to USAAC acceptance.

You are now returned to the Thread! :)

Not so fast.

I agree, the P-38, or as it was known in 1941, the YP-38, was not unknown to the public. Aviation Mags, encyclopedias and even dictionaries had photos of the YP-38 as early as 1940.

The airplane was still being tested as late as November 1941, when a modified YP-38 test aircraft crashed into homes in Glendale.

TM

January 1, 1984 we celebrated the 70th Anniversary of the beginning of commercial aviation with the first commercial flight. It was a plane called the

Benoist that flew from St Petersburg to Tampa with U.S. Mail. On that day they flew a replica of the Benoist and the pilot, Tony Janus rode out to the plane in a 1913 car. At the same airport (Albert Whitted) where National Airlines was born in 1934, we went to the Benoist flight with our 1915 Model T Ford. Neither of these planes is the Benoist.

In 2014 we'll celebrate 100 years with as many 100 year old cars and airplanes as we can find. I need a 1914 Ford Model T.

Can anyone identify the planes?

Paul

post-32318-143138831069_thumb.jpg

post-32318-143138831074_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

1942 Ford and Douglas C-47A.

Okay Okay, they are models.

PP

Hey Pomeroy, it's great that they're models! I'm working on a 1/43rd-1/48th scale Heinkel

He-111 Lufthansa passenger version with cars and will post the results when it's done.

How'd you like to get your hands on one of these Connie models?

connie_wind_tunnel-med.jpg

From Popular Mechanics, June 1942

eastern_connie_model-med.jpg

Plane/car enthusiast extraordinaire Centurion alerted me that a Lufthansa Super-Constellation

will be flying home from Maine to Germany this summer. What a sight (and flight) that would be!

Thanks for the C-47A pics, and all the others, too!

TG

These shots were taken this afternoon - 12 February 2012 - at West Melton airfield, just west of Christchurch, New Zealand. The occasion was an open day to remember that it was 50 years to the day that one of New Zealand's great aviation mysteries began, with the disappearance of a De Havilland Dragonfly on a sightseeing trip to Milford Sound. No trace of the aircraft or its passengers has ever been found. When you see pictures of the rugged terrain in the area it comes as no surprise. Another five aircraft have disappeared in the same general area in the years since.

Unfortunately the vintage Dragonfly aircraft that was supposed to appear at today's event suffered engine problems at its home base near Gore in Southland - about 250 miles south of Christchurch - but there were a few other De Havilland aircraft there, including the Tiger Moth in the picture and a couple of Chipmunk trainers. Also, a De Havilland Vampire jet fighter did a fly past. The local Vintage Car Club was invited to display cars at the event and about 100 turned up, ranging from a Holsman and an Alldays and Onions, both of 1905, to cars of the 1970s.

The two Packards in the picture are a 1930 733 sport phaeton which was restored in the 1960s and still looks as good today as it did then - and is still owned by the same person, and a 1937 115-C six, one of only two rumble seat coupes to be imported to NZ in 1937, which has just been returned to the road after 40 years in storage. Behind the coupe in the pic is a 1940 Super Eight, a recent import to NZ.

post-59373-14313883457_thumb.jpg

post-59373-143138834581_thumb.jpg

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

These shots were taken this afternoon - 12 February 2012 - at West Melton airfield, just west of Christchurch, New Zealand. The occasion was an open day to remember that it was 50 years to the day that one of New Zealand's great aviation mysteries began, with the disappearance of a De Havilland Dragonfly on a sightseeing trip to Milford Sound. No trace of the aircraft or its passengers has ever been found. When you see pictures of the rugged terrain in the area it comes as no surprise. Another five aircraft have disappeared in the same general area in the years since.

Unfortunately the vintage Dragonfly aircraft that was supposed to appear at today's event suffered engine problems at its home base near Gore in Southland - about 250 miles south of Christchurch - but there were a few other De Havilland aircraft there, including the Tiger Moth in the picture and a couple of Chipmunk trainers. Also, a De Havilland Vampire jet fighter did a fly past. The local Vintage Car Club was invited to display cars at the event and about 100 turned up, ranging from a Holsman and an Alldays and Onions, both of 1905, to cars of the 1970s.

The two Packards in the picture are a 1930 733 sport phaeton which was restored in the 1960s and still looks as good today as it did then - and is still owned by the same person, and a 1937 115-C six, one of only two rumble seat coupes to be imported to NZ in 1937, which has just been returned to the road after 40 years in storage. Behind the coupe in the pic is a 1940 Super Eight, a recent import to NZ.

so, that De Havilland was "Gone With The Wind"?

Thanks nzcarnerd for adding to the mix; make those pics black and white and you'd think they were done when the "Mystery" first occurred!

And Brian, I'm glad you added your stunning '59 Buick and Super-Connie images, too. What took you so long?

Now we need to see some of your Jet-Age 707 imagery!

Thanks to all for the vintage pics, too!

Here's an establishing shot of the scene that day, with the "Miracle on the Hudson"

Flight 1549 Airbus A-320 in the hangar.

pa_9max.jpg

Larger

Flying back to Charlotte yesterday from the AACA Nat'l. Meeting, the DC-7B now shares

the tarmac with a couple of Air National Guard C-130's. CAM Director Wally Coppinger

wasn't kidding when he said it's going to be a long time before another photo-op

presents itself to capture the DC-3 and DC-7B en plein air.

TG

Thanks nzcarnerd for adding to the mix; make those pics black and white and you'd think they were done when the "Mystery" first occurred!

Thought was given to turning the whole assemblage around so that the modern buildings and cars were not in the background but time was against us.

And Brian, I'm glad you added your stunning '59 Buick and Super-Connie images, too. What took you so long?

Now we need to see some of your Jet-Age 707 imagery!

Thanks to all for the vintage pics, too!

Here's an establishing shot of the scene that day, with the "Miracle on the Hudson"

Flight 1549 Airbus A-320 in the hangar.

pa_9max.jpg

Larger

Flying back to Charlotte yesterday from the AACA Nat'l. Meeting, the DC-7B now shares

the tarmac with a couple of Air National Guard C-130's. CAM Director Wally Coppinger

wasn't kidding when he said it's going to be a long time before another photo-op

presents itself to capture the DC-3 and DC-7B en plein air.

TG

That long shot is great!!!

Awesome. Thanks for posting.

PP

In the hanger in the photo above you can see the "Miracle on the Hudson" Airbus A320-214 that made an emergency landing in the Hudson River on Jan 15, 2009. This is now part of the collection in Charlotte. The DC3 was out of the hanger to make room to attach the wings to the A320.

post-50475-143138838443_thumb.jpg

Edited by 61polara
Post photo (see edit history)

Inspiration comes from strange places, and for my Airplane/Automobiles series of images,

it originated with this vibrant '41 Mercury center spread from LIFE, Nov. 25, 1940.

Though certainly not the first car ad to use color photography, it's an early one that

really pops, and one of my all-time favorites.

41_mercury_2page2x.jpg

Larger, photo from my ad collection (can't afford a large, flatbed scanner!).

41_mercurydetailx.jpg

Larger, shown here in UAL livery, the Boeing 247 was a very advanced aircraft in its day.

The images bespeak post-Depression, prewar American prosperity and optimism.

:)

TG

TG, the Museum of Flight has a beautifully restored Boeing 247 in the United Airlines livery, as shown in the Mercury ad. It would be great for a Mercury owner to reprise the ad with a new high-resolution digital image.

By the way, I think that your photos of the '57 Roadmaster and the DC-3 and DC-7 are poster-worthy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post. My name is Ayden and Vintage buicks are in my blood. I could not resist posting this picture. This is an AT-6G Harvard (Texan from your part of the world). It used to belong to the South African Air Force but is now under syndication in New Zealand. Parked around it are 1936,37,38 Special Sedans.

Enjoy,

Ayden.

post-80536-143138882911_thumb.jpg