How do I remove the door locks ?

Bill Stoneberg

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Bill, you have to remove the door skin to gain access to the lock. All the little acorn nuts around the door and careful not to break them.Depending how bad they are it's almost impossible not to.Tom

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Bill,just a thought but wouldn't it be eaiser to pull the trunk lock or the glove compartment lock? One of them should be the same as your door lock if they haven't been changed. Tom

Bill, Be sure to remove the short stainless trim piece below the vent window, there are some screws hidden under there. You also do not need to remove the entire panel, just the upper 2/3rds at each end will give enough access to the door lock. Kevin

Remove the screw at the leading edge of the chrome piece that Kevin mentions and slide the chrome piece forward - it may need a little help. After thats removed there are two phillips head screws to remove. Remove the top three or four door skin bolts and you will have access to the locks. There may be a small screw at the top edge of the rear of the skin to remove as well. Some are there , some are not. If I were you I would remove all the door skin bolts and clean and lube all moving parts. When you reinstall put some dum dum around the T- bolts to hold them in the slot but only on the edge of the opening so the T-bolt can move a little in the slot. Leave the remote mirror cable hooked up and just set the skin to one side.

Kevin, Dick,

Thanks for the information on the screws. It would have taken me a while to find those.

I got the skin off and the lock out, now to the lock shop next week. It had a code on it,so it should be easy to make.

While I have the door apart, I am going to get my window working better and replace the weatherstripping. Get rid of the electrical tape that the former owner sealed the window with.

Hi Bill,

Be forewarned that the lock cylinder in the other door may also be a different code! Because the door skins swap on and off it is very common to find someone has swapped a different door skin onto the car along with a different lock. Even if the opposite lock is a match, as long as you are making a trip to the locksmith it is a good idea to have both the lock cylinders disassembled, cleaned, worn parts replaced and lubricated.

A long established locksmith can produce a key cut to the code on your locks. However, many modern shops do not have this ability. Why not have your door locks matched to your ignition key as per the original arrangement?

When reassembling the door skin to the frame be sure the right angle plunger/rod which extends down to the door latch mechanism is centered in the "stirrup" located on the back of the lock core. It is VERY common to find someone has not paid attention to this detail resulting in inop or stubborn key/lock operation. Good luck!

Tom Mooney ROA #56

Bill,

All of the locks on my 64 work off the same key. Trunk, ignition, both doors, and the glove box.

If your door locks have been swapped out with the skin as long as you have them out, you can have the locks rekeyed so that you'll only have to have one key for both doors and the ignition.