Update on Wife and 1990 Reatta

I want to thank everyone for leaving kind<BR>words for my wife and I. This is such a<BR>good reader board with people who are real<BR>and have heart. God Bless You All!<P>My wife will be going back to work on Friday.<BR>Three days off of work. Thank God no broken<BR>bones or cuts. However, every bruised and<BR>sore but will get better over time.<P>We both are at a loss for words. We both<BR>know that the 1990 Reatta saved her life<BR>because of its weight and full frame. I am<BR>certain any car of lighter weight and non-<BR>full frame would have twisted, flip and<BR>caused great injury. The Reatta is a tank<BR>and I thank GM for building such a fine car.<BR>Of course the breaks are another issue.<P>We loved the build quality, ride, look<BR>and overall package. I am an insurance<BR>broker and am certain my claim is going<BR>to be very difficult to bring closure on<BR>due to the type of vehicle it is. The<BR>book rates show $8500/$9000 for an outstanding 1990 with 27,000 miles on it.<BR>I paid $9,500 plus $1000 additional for<BR>tires and misc. Just watch the company<BR>try and offer me $7500. Being in the <BR>insurance industry for 18 years I know how<BR>the game is played.<P>Try buying a 1990 (one owner) with 27,000<BR>miles in 95% mint condition for $7000,<BR>$8000 or even $9,000. I fell upon a great<BR>deal and may ending up with on the short<BR>end of the stick. I will keep all of you<BR>updated and will use my insurance skills<BR>on trying to get a fair payout (which I <BR>feel should be $11,000 or so).<P>After seeing what our payout is we will be<BR>looking for a new car. Again assuming that<BR>the car is a total. Would not buy a <BR>1988 to 1990 Reatta only because of brake<BR>concerns... However, the 1991 may not be<BR>out of the question. After we both having<BR>the Reatta for just three weeks we were hooked. <P>Our question, looking at the following cars<BR>and would like your ideas:<P>A) 1991 Buick Reat<BR>B) 1995 Lexus SC Coupe<BR>c) 1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged<BR>d) Mercedes C220 or E Class (mid 90's)<P>My price range is $12,000 to $18,000. Any<BR>ideas or experience with above cars? Your<BR>help would be appreciated.<P>Also, if my 1990 Reatta is a total and<BR>my claim amount is fair I will try and<BR>buy the car back for Salvage. The seats<BR>and interior is 100% perfect and tan in<BR>color. The engine only has 27,4000 miles<BR>on it. Good doors, rear clip etc... Will<BR>keep you posted on all accounts.<P>My wife's tears after reading all your kind<BR>words go a long way. YOU FOLKS ARE THE BEST!<P>Tully Man<P>P.s. Sorry about spelling and punctuation.<BR> Just trying to type from the heart.<BR>Securing a Lawyer- WATCH OUT GM!

I just retired from 30 years as an insurance agent. Having had your Reatta such a short period, you should be able to prove it's worth as the price you paid plus the money you spent on it. They also should pay sales tax and the amount remaining on your license plates. Hang tight. The adjuster should be able to recognize a cherry from run of the mill.<P>As to replacement, a '91 Reatta should make a great replacement. (I traded my '90 for a '91 to get rid of the brakes) My wife had a '95 Lexus SC400 (8cyl) and my son has a '95<BR>Lexus SC300 (6cyl). Superior cars no doubt but , of course, more money. You won't believe the the service from a Lexus dealer.

Tully Man so very pleased that your wife is doing so well. <P>You have my deepest sympathies going up against the insurance companies (even as an insider) to get anything close to the appropriate value for your car. <P>GO GET GM! Let the members of the Forum know if you require some help, I think we just might chip in??...others.<P>Wow you really got a "brakes" debate going!<P>I have personal experience with the Riviera as my first car is a 96. It is an absolutely gorgeous car. Technically sophisticated, anti lock actually works) the supercharger is a blast. Economical yet additional power when you want it. The styling is distinctive and very appealing to me. There are also a number of modifications that can be easily made to increase power and durability. Recently returned from a trip to Auburn, Indiana for the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg festival. Put 750 miles on the Riviera returning to Ottawa in one day. As I recall got some 30mpg with 74 to 75 mph on the highway. Just fast enough not to attract police attention. Smooth as silk the whole way. If I could change anything it would be to add two more doors. Great car around the city also. I have 4 snow tires mounted on OEM rims and love the balance and traction in snow. (might not be too important to you, but Chicago does get snow. You will know better than me. Personal bug...all cars in a snowy climate should have snows. All season tires after the first season are a joke in the snow, life is too short) This is a great car but frankly the 1995 Lexus SC Coupe is better and a nice Mercedes-Benz 500E was voted the car "That if I had to drive to the moon I would choose a... Mercedes-Benz 500E, one of my all time favorite cars, and it has 4 doors. <P>Only complaint besides the doors might be that the suspension is slightly soft but for the most part. Correctable for less than $50 in urethane end links and bushings. <P>Production numbers 1995 - 41,422; 1996 - 18,036; 1997 - 18,827; 1998 - 10,953; 1999 - 1,956 plus 200 special Silver Arrows "On Sept 17th, 1998, Buick announced that they will be discontinuing production of the Riviera effective Nov. 25th, 1998, several months into the 99 year production. They will end the production with a limited-edition (200)1999 Riviera Silver Arrow. The name Silver Arrow was the name used for three Riviera concept cars built in the 60's and early seventies.Buick feels that the name Riviera is an "great name for a very expressive automobile" according to Robert Coletta, Buick's General Manager. Mr Coletta said "obviously I can't discuss future products, but I'd like to say this is just an interruption. I'm sure the next generation of Riviera would be a very expressive car, but probably not a full sized Coupe" <P>The Silver Arrow could be a collectors car. Compared to other cars the Riviera is also almost a limited production car. <P>1995 Lexus SC Coupe - gorgeous car, universally loved by all automotive reviewers. With proper maintenance you could put 300,000 miles on one. A very good choice.<P>Personally I would go for a bigger Mercedes-Benz, you already know my feelings on the 500E.<P>Sounds as though everything is going to work out all right for you and your wife, congratulations. I think I'll go hug a loved one now, Robert

I too am glad you wife is better.<BR>Send me the VIN so you wreck can be added to the database. <P>I noticed you wish list contained only two door cars, but Buick's best kept secret is the Regal GS.... 3800 supercharged 4dr with touring suspension.<BR>I purchased one used to see if it was as good as it looked on paper. Last year I averaged 27.6 from Texas to California and back. That's over the mountains twice and some runs of 85+ in Arizona and New Mexico.<P>I love the car and if I were out of projects would put a supercharged 3800 in a Reatta.

Hi Tully Man......Glad to hear your wife is going to be OK! I had 2 1990 Reata coupes and sold them both to buy a 1991 coupe. The ride, performance, and brakes are far superior in the '91. Go for the gusto....GO BUICK!!!!! As for the insurance guys...Give 'em Hell!! Thanks for the update! grin.gif" border="0 <P>Mike Book<BR>BCA # 9202<BR>Reatta # 407<BR>BDE # 109

Tully Man, I'm very glad to hear that your wife will be all right. A car is just a car, but good health is the most important thing of all.<P>I love the Reatta, but among the alternatives that you mentioned, I was really impressed with the Riviera and the Lexus SC coupe. The Riviera is a very big car though, much bigger than the Reatta. It's a very solid car and can carry four adults, and the styling is out-of-this world. Personally, I love the look of the late-model Riviera, though it seems people either love it or hate it. I think the style is timeless and should carry very well for many years. As far as the Lexus is concerned, the SC is a very good little two-door, and Toyota quality is legendary. The SC comes close to being the perfect luxury coupe. IMHO, I think if you no longer want a Reatta (and I wouldn't blame you after what happened), you should consider either the Riviera or the SC. Just my two cents.

Hello Tully Man's wife I hope that you are feeling better. I pray that all your fears of driving are over, however once bitten twice shy is the way of the English Language. I guess whenever you will drive any vehicle hereon you will always wonder if the brakes are working or not, as I bet your 1990 Reatta didn't give you any warning i.e any lights i.e the brake Red light and the ABS green light indicating that there is a problem with the brakes.<BR>Once again, both my wife and I pray for your speedy recovery.<BR>Oh, with regards to the which car to buy next.<BR>I quite like the late model Olds Arora especially in Pearl White.<BR>I also like the late model Riviera if you can afford to pay a little more, then I would consider buying a 1999 Riviera with the Super charged engine, and the last year they also made it i.e : Silver Arrow Edition.<BR>I am considering buying one of these, if I can find one reasonably priced.<BR>kind regards<P>prakash<p>[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: prakash raja ]

I will say what so many others have said. Glad to hear your wife is on the mend and will be OK. As for the Reatta, it is sort of the hero in this bad turn of events. It acted as your wife's guardian. A lesser car would not have been as galiant. I would opt for a 91 Reatta. The last year model should have a lot of the bugs out. Howard

Guest wally888

The 1991 Reatta , to me, drives and rides like a totally different car than the 88 or 89.<BR> I'm assuming the 88 and 89 drive and ride almost identically.<BR> I have owned 2-91's and 2-89's. After driving an 89 for several years I bought a 91 coupe w/ 40k and did not like the car as well as the 89. The ride is very different, car feels heavier and it is evident there is more rubber on the road. Perhaps my main dislike was the steering wheel w/ the air bag, making it impossible for me to place my left hand fingers where I normally do in the 89.<BR> I currently drive my 89 90% of the time, however it is for sale. When sold the 91 will be used 100% of the time.

I'm with Barney on this one. I bought a "98 Regal GS with the SC 3800 series II and touring suspension as my new go to work car. I drove it and loved it for about a month and then my wife borrowed it to go to the store. She has now appropriated the Regal as hers. She loves the way it rides, I loved the acceleration and comfort. When I first got it, I took it on a long trip in eastern Washington, lots of long flat roads, and a mountain pass each way. When I nailed the throttle to pass someone going 65 MPH I was going into triple digits as I pulled along side. That is power. My wife wasn't aware of how fast we were going. It cruised effortlessly all day at 80. When I got home the computer claimed 27.3 MPG for the trip! The best part is the value for what you pay. New you can get one of these babies for around $24-26K. Used with low miles are going for $14-18K. The only down side is that now I have been relegated to driving the Mountaineer I bought for her. Good thing I have my Reatta for nice sunny days. Remember, always keep the wife happy!

I'm with Barney on this one. I bought a "98 Regal GS with the SC 3800 series II and touring suspension as my new go to work car. I drove it and loved it for about a month and then my wife borrowed it to go to the store. She has now appropriated the Regal as hers. She loves the way it rides, I loved the acceleration and comfort. When I first got it, I took it on a long trip in eastern Washington, lots of long flat roads, and a mountain pass each way. When I nailed the throttle to pass someone going 65 MPH I was going into triple digits as I pulled along side. That is power. My wife wasn't aware of how fast we were going. It cruised effortlessly all day at 80. When I got home the computer claimed 27.3 MPG for the trip! The best part is the value for what you pay. New you can get one of these babies for around $24-26K. Used with low miles are going for $14-18K. The only down side is that now I have been relegated to driving the Mountaineer I bought for her. Good thing I have my Reatta for nice sunny days. Remember, always keep the wife happy!