Odometer, spedometer in kilometers

Guffin

Did the canadian Buick use km on the odometer? It is possible to find in Canada an odometer/spedometer calibrated in km instead of miles. Both my Buic cars have modified rear ends so the odometer now shows sea miles and knots insted of miles and miles/hour. How can i change this?

My Hupmobile was probably assembled in Europe and the meter use km.

Jan

Guest imported_Thriller

Canada used Imperial measurements until some time in the 70s (I remember switching, but was young enough not to know exactly when), so cars built before then have speedometers and odometers using miles. I think the '77 Mercury Marquis my father had was in kilometres.

You may want to check with a shop that specializes in speedometers / speed testing / verification. They may be able to add a gear to the speedometer cable assembly to make it right again.

Hi there, speedo's can be re calibrated to read correct by changing the drive gear at end of cable in g/box. An easy way to check your speedo is with a portable satellite navigation system .I have found that this is a marvellous way to check your speedos and it makes travelling that much easier than looking up streets in directories.For the $ they cost they are worth it.

Regards Jim

I pick up a speedo MPH- KPH converter at one of the cars market last year, that taks less than 5 min to install, you just remove the speedo cable from the back of the speedo, and this box screw into the speedo, and the cable screw into the back of it, now both the speedo, and the odometer are now in Km.. Only problem i found is my speedo only goes to 110, which was 110mph befor, but now 110km..

Thank you all. Albert, I have heared about such converters but I have not been able to find any. Now my problem is not solved by a MPH-KPM converter since my rear end is changed. Perhaps the gears in such an converter can be changed!? I thik I will invest in a GPS until I can find a mechanical solution.

Jan

Anothing thing i picked up yeas ago, for a 71 Datsun 510 I had, was a decal that fit over the original speedo face with KM in large numbers, and Mph was smaller numbers.. or the had stick on circles that just went on over the glass , but they look tacky..

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Guffin:

heavy trucks have the same kind of problems you're having, because they have many different rear end ratios, different size tires, etc. The first thing you need to do is to figure out exactly how much you're off. Run the car behind a car with a odometer that is accurate for a distance of exactly 10 KM. See what you record on your car. Figure out the % you're off. Go to a heavy truck dealer (Volvo, Saab-Scania, etc.) tell him your problem and ask for a speedometer converter. It's a small gear box about 4 CM long, fits on the transmission and the speedo cable fits to it. Stewart Warner made them in all kinds of ratios. I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. or the had stick on circles that just went on over the glass , but they look tacky.. </div></div>

Those are on my Wildcat...from before I owned it...sigh.