1941 Clipper 8

Guest Packardsforever

Guest Packardsforever

Thanks to all who answered my 56 400 HT question. The reason I ask this type question here, is to get a real feel from Packard experts on what someone should really pay. I know I can check out all the publications.

One more question: My father has recently become interested in Packards and has found a 41 Clipper 8 that is in really good restored condition as far as the body and interior goes. The only weak point is the engine appearance. It has some surface rust and is quite dirty but runs great like a Packard should. Again my question is what is fair market price? I know even less about pre-war Packards.

Thanks to all and Merry Christmas.

Another tuff call. What is the seller asking for this car? I?d take an average of the various guide prices and start at 20-30% less (can?t get hurt at that price, I would think). You can also keep an eye on eBay and see what similar cars are selling for. Tho a 1941, the Clipper is really more of a postwar car IMHO. Clipper47 should have some firsthand insights for you re inspecting the car and what to look (out) for.

The engine & bay can be successfully cleaned and painted in situ if you are willing to unbolt and remove most of the accessories, foil wrap the wiring etc.

Seems like a reasonable asking for a pretty scarce model but probably some room to dicker down. Does the car have overdive (Aerodrive as Packard called it) or Electromatic clutch? Overdive is a very nice feature. The car is identical mechanically to the 120 so parts are not an issue other than small trim pieces etc. which are unique to the model and if missing might be hard to find. As for the engine I was able to clean and repaint the engine in my '47 (and it has the bigger 356" engine) without removing it. Since you will want to repaint all the ancilliary items like generator, starter etc. once these are removed you should have good access to the engine.I used Bill Hirsh Packard green and it has held up well for 5 years. I removed the head on mine to paint it but also to inspect it for warpage which you may not need to. These cars are prone to rust so besides the obvious rocker panels, floors and spare tire well inspect the front of the car specifically under the headlights where there is a sort of shelf which tends to hold mud and salt. If these are solid likely you won't find any significant rust issues. Old wiring may also be a problem so check that out as well although new harnesses are easily available . Like most all Packards these are superb cars IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, while the subject of value has come up. What about a 36 120B touring sedan in excellent Original condition? A legit #2 condition. </div></div>

I had a chance to buy a car in similar condition about 1 year ago; very low mileage(approx.30K), all original including paint and an immaculate interior #2-3. I think the asking was a pretty firm $24000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, while the subject of value has come up. What about a 36 120B touring sedan in excellent Original condition? A legit #2 condition. </div></div>

Unfortunately, everyone has their own opinion of the definition of each condition rating. According to the authors of the Old Cars Price Guide, a #2 condition car is a show car that will win awards and most any show, not necessarily first place, though. It is either a well-cared-for original, like yours, or a former #1 car that has some age or miles on it.

That said, I'd say in the range of $15,000-$20,000, absolute tops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you feel the $24K was too much? Or did you buy it? </div></div>

I didn't buy the car but not because of price. This particular car was a highly optioned 120CD with a known history and not restored original so I think the price was reasonable because of it's uniqueness and provenance.