Dash went blank

Guest grkman1

Guest grkman1

Recently I am noticing that the dash lights and indicators do not light up right away when the ignition is turned on. It seems that it is taking longer then normal for them to light.

I have no control of the heating/ventilating, nor radio during this time. After a little they will eventually come on.

A few weeks ago I had to disconnect my battery to resent the computer. When I replaced the cable, I heard a ticking sound in the relay box. When I went to start the car, no indicators went on. I unhooked the cable then rehook, and everything came on. I just figured I hadn't done it correctly and the car wasnt getting enough juice. Hopefully I didnt ruin anything.

Any comments on what it may be?

Thanks

Make certain you have a full charge on the battery. Also good connection at the battery and no corrosion. Since you are working on the car, check the two ground lugs, near the battery on the radiator support. Tighten them.

With age, our cars can exhibit some strange problems. I have noticed the same sometime when I get up....didn't have that hurting last night before I went to bed.

You can pull the instrument panel by removing the clear cover over the front, it pulls off. That will expose the screws that hold the cluster to the frame of the dash. Sometimes unpluging the IP, spraying the contacts and repluging will solve the problem. If not you may neet to send it off to be rebuilt.

I think he's talking about the button illumination lights. This seems to be a problem with our Reatta's and Rivieras. Lore has it that the problem is in the headlight switch. Spraying with tuner cleaner spray or contact cleaner (showing my age) into the pod housing while exercizing the buttons seems to cure the problem. If you decide to disassemble the switch assy to clean, you better have skills at watch repair.

• 2 weeks later...