Climate Control - All heat, all the time

Guest Buick Mike

Guest Buick Mike

No matter what setting I put the climate control on, all I get is heat. Lots of it. <P>If I set the temp for A/C the compressor comes on, but I get heat. If I press the heater button the compressor does not come on (as you'd expect) and, of course, I get heat. The temp of the air coming out of the vents does not change no matter what temp I input on the control. Essentially the only thing the climate control system will do is blow high heat. <P>Anybody know what's wrong and how to fix this? The car is a '90.<P>Thanks.<P>Mike

Does your outside temperature reading above the climate control buttons show the correct temperature? My climate control is doing the same thing yours is doing except that the outside temp reading is way off. It shows a much colder temp making the climate control blow hot air. The outside temp reading will periodically go back to normal which will then trigger the compressor making it blow cold air. I am at a loss on how to fix this..

Guest Buick Mike

My outside temperature reading shows the correct temperature. confused.gif" border="0 <P>russ9908, ...thermostat? I doubt you mean the main engine thermostat (the one which controls the flow of engine coolant), but rather one that talks to the climate control system. Do you know where that is? <P>Also, when my A/C condensor (I'm assuming that's the condensor you're referring to) went out not too long ago I'd get only ambient temp air. I'm now getting actual hot air that's obviously from the heater... even though its not supposed to be. Were you getting heated air, or just air that hadn't been cooled?<P>Thanks.<P>Mike

I don't know if I have a answer or not, but this is a thought. I have a 89, which I know has a number of differences between your model, but I would assume the A/C systems work very nearly the same. There is a climate computer that has a very small motor in it that controls the heat control valve. The valve is connected to a long rod that attaches to the A/C Computer motor. If this rod has come loose, which would be very easy to do if the plastic arm broke or the "keeper" fell off, the valve could be stuck in the heat position. Also, the A/C Computer may be bad and the motor is not working at all. Of course all of this may not apply to your model. Maybe someone else can let us know if I could be on the right track. Howard

My '89 has the same problem--for two years now. I found that the problem is related to the air door, but not that the rod cam loose. It appears that the servo needs a 'help' to get off the 'hot' setting. I haven't determined why it gets stuck, but a slight pull to the left (inboard) will get the servo controlling the air door again. Of course I haven't had the glove box assy installed for the past two years, but no glove box is better that the incredible heat which occurs when the air door is hard over to the 'hot' setting! I would also be interested if anyone knows why the servo gets 'stuck'.

I had this happen after replacing the battery. The climate reset to it's highest temp. which I did not notice 'till I was on the highway. I reset it but it would not turn off heat for several miles along highway. It eventually fixed it self???

Guest wally888

I would 1st suspect a malfunctioning door. My wife's cady had similar problem, was bad relay that caused doors to operate.( she had no heat)<BR> I have had several problems w/ a previously owned 89. 1st. all air came from Def. vents. Was bad door actuator.<BR> 2nd. problem appeared to be another door actuator but was not. The actuator worked fine, the mount on the a/c door (where the actuator arm attached to the door) had broken off.<BR> Don't know about 90 diagnostics but 89 will tell you the percentage of opening for each door as you change settings. In lieu of that you can see each actuator inflate/deflate and the arms move as someone changes settings.<BR> I was able to change one actuator by removing panels and plastic pieces of bottom of ducting. Could never reach the broken door mount, think it would be necessary to remove dash and go from there. Heresjim probably knows. Good luck

Buick Mike--ref my last post. The way I am dealing with my heat problem, for the summer, at least,is to disconnect the control arm from the servo (being careful that the other end, the one on the air door) and securing it so that it cannot move to the hot position. If it is left loose it will go to the hot position the first time you make a turn, and it is really awkward and dangerous to reach all across the car to try to put it back to the cold position. Of course, in order to do this the glove box must be removed. OK as long as the car is not for sale.