'84 Automatic Door Locks

MichaelFellenzer

Greetings.

My ?84 convertible is equipped with the Automatic Door Lock option and I?m attempting to diagnose a problem. Both doors lock/unlock when the key is turned in the door handle lock cylinder; however, when shifting from or to Park, nothing. I tested the ADL relay according to the directions in the service manual. I get correct signals on everything except from the momentary 12 volt on the wires coming from the gear selector switch. Where do I find information in the manual on how to diagnose the gear selector switch? Apparently, I?m blind because I can?t find it. At least I know where it is located! LOL

Thanks.

Michael

?84 convertible

ROA 10506

BCA ???

Hey Mike, I have an '82 Convertible. I think mine is different. I think it locks when you shift out of Park and unlocks when you shift into Park. Recently it has stopped working. A few years ago I had it fixed. I think the circuit board was behind the glove box? I intend to take it back to the same auto electric guy. I'll print your post and ask him. As I recall he fixed it by soldering a connection on the board.

T.

I have this soption in my '75 Electra and I don't think that the unlock switch in the driver's side lock cylinder has somethng to do with the automatic system (even if it's a part of the Automatic door lock option). I think it just operates like the switches in the door panels. If I leave the key in unlocking position, the lock solenoids are energized until you turn back the key.

Did the automatic locking work when you got the car? I know some people that hate this option so it's possible that a previous owner intentionnaly cut the wire from the shift selector.

Guest AndrewReatta

There's a small unit clipped on to the top of the steering column. It's just a plastic switch with a setting for park and then for the others and is tripped by the rod running inside the column. If the contacts get corroded or it isn't set just right then it won't activate the door locks when you shift out of or into park. I have a 1985 model so I'd imagine it would be the same for yours. You have to remove the lower dash to get to it but that most likely sounds like what would be causing your problem.