Parts Interchange

lincolnV12

I have a V12 engine from a 1937 Zephyr that is missing the front cover for the timing gears. Will the timing cover from a Ford V8 from the same era interchange? I was thinking the generator may be the same but are there any other parts that interchange between the V12 and the flathead?

Thanks for any help!

The front cover is not the same as a flat head Ford. The difference being that the V12 has a thinner section on the sides for clearance with the waterpumps. I imagine you could grind those areas a bit for clearance as the V12 and V8 both take the same gasket and have the same bolt pattern. Not sure about front seal area but I beleive it too is the same as a Ford V8, easy to check. The 3 bolt pattern for the distributor needs to be checked also. Later model Ford covers only had a 2 bolt pattern for the distributor.

The cover shouldn't be hard to track down; you might see if Rolf has one for sale. If not, then depending on where you are, you might try Merv Adkins in CA, Ray Theriault in CT, or George Trickett in VT.

BTW Peecher, you are great source of knowledge. I had always wondered if there was a diff, and now I know! Thanks for posting.

Guest nasmith

I've been doing major work on my '40LZ engine and when I wanted a new crankshaft steel timing gear, I discovered that the Ford part wouldn't fit because the V-12 crank is quite a bit larger. This might affect the seal area of the timing gear cover.